Would I benefit from a postbacc or SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ollie34

Reaction score
BS biological scinces

CGPA 3.14
sgpa 2.82 MD, 2.92 DO - I know at this point MD is most likely out the door but that's not an issue. I would love to go into a DO program.

The first two years were harsh (sgpa ~2.2) but 3rd and 4th year I did well in my upper div classes (As and B+).

good ECs, scribing for a year now and the docs have offered to write LORs (1MD, 2 DO), LOR from nonclinical volunteer supervisor aswell.

I've taken the MCAT 3x 489->488 ->494 ( I know if I can do better once I change and improve my study method)

Most recet mcat from January 2019, after this I decided not to apply and kinda had given up. I decided to come on here and look at what people in a similiar situation are doing and I'm seeing a lot going into postbacc or smp.

I've considered a diy postbacc following this @Goro post at a CC but the courses that are offered I've already taken and did well. Again my first two years are the ones pulling me down. I only got two C- which I retook in undergrad everything else bringing me down in those two years is basic bio and chem which were C/ C+ .

I'm very torn between postbacc and smp.

From what I've read postbaccs are to improve undergrad GPA which I think might be helpful in my case. Especially if schools have a science GPA cutoff of 3.0 However I did have a bit of an upward trend in my GPA which is why I think that I would do well in an SMP and hopefully benefit from a linkage.

I guess I'm afraid to do an SMP - do well (3.5 +) improve my MCAT at least to a 508 but then apply but have that sub 3.0 undergrad sgpa drag me down.

Please advice.

Members don't see this ad.

BS biological scinces

CGPA 3.14
sgpa 2.82 MD, 2.92 DO - I know at this point MD is most likely out the door but that's not an issue. I would love to go into a DO program.

The first two years were harsh (sgpa ~2.2) but 3rd and 4th year I did well in my upper div classes (As and B+).

good ECs, scribing for a year now and the docs have offered to write LORs (1MD, 2 DO), LOR from nonclinical volunteer supervisor aswell.

I've taken the MCAT 3x 489->488 ->494 ( I know if I can do better once I change and improve my study method)

Most recet mcat from January 2019, after this I decided not to apply and kinda had given up. I decided to come on here and look at what people in a similiar situation are doing and I'm seeing a lot going into postbacc or smp.

I've considered a diy postbacc following this @Goro post at a CC but the courses that are offered I've already taken and did well. Again my first two years are the ones pulling me down. I only got two C- which I retook in undergrad everything else bringing me down in those two years is basic bio and chem which were C/ C+ .

I'm very torn between postbacc and smp.

From what I've read postbaccs are to improve undergrad GPA which I think might be helpful in my case. Especially if schools have a science GPA cutoff of 3.0 However I did have a bit of an upward trend in my GPA which is why I think that I would do well in an SMP and hopefully benefit from a linkage.

I guess I'm afraid to do an SMP - do well (3.5 +) improve my MCAT at least to a 508 but then apply but have that sub 3.0 undergrad sgpa drag me down.

Please advice.
You've already taken the MCAT 3x and had no improvement. You're not going to magically improve on try #4. You've hit your plateau., unless test taking anxiety is the issue. IF so, that can be fixed, and needs to be done.

Getting a 4.0 in any post-bac will not get you into med school. Aceing a SMP will, if it's given at a program with good linkage.

Reactions: 1 user
You've already taken the MCAT 3x and had no improvement. You're not going to magically improve on try #4. You've hit your plateau., unless test taking anxiety is the issue. IF so, that can be fixed, and needs to be done.

Getting a 4.0 in any post-bac will not get you into med school. Aceing a SMP will, if it's given at a program with good linkage.

MCAT scores were in part due to anxiety which I have been working on but also flawed study methods, lack of sufficient practice, and family pressure to "hurry up and apply already". I've not started studying again becuase as of 3 months ago I had given up on med school. My plan this time around would be to dedicate 4-5 months to study - more if needed- and will be aiming to score consistently above 507 in at least 4/5 practice rounds. I will not take the real test until I know I am ready.

I really do think I can do very well in an SMP and I am looking at those with linkages. Would a DO vs MD SMP be viewed differently at the time of application, assuming I do 3.8+ and try my chances at both?

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT scores were in part due to anxiety which I have been working on but also flawed study methods, lack of sufficient practice, and family pressure to "hurry up and apply already". I've not started studying again becuase as of 3 months ago I had given up on med school. My plan this time around would be to dedicate 4-5 months to study - more if needed- and will be aiming to score consistently above 507 in at least 4/5 practice rounds. I will not take the real test until I know I am ready.

I really do think I can do very well in an SMP and I am looking at those with linkages. Would a DO vs MD SMP be viewed differently at the time of application, assuming I do 3.8+ and try my chances at both?
Non-trad M4 and former SMP with a horrendous uGPA here. You're kinda hamstrung here because no SMP is going to accept you with 3 low MCATs. They want students who are capable of succeeding in their program, getting into med school, and being successful med students/doctors. Having a low GPA and a low MCAT shows that your academic abilities have not improved. Having 3 low MCATs calls into question your judgement.

An SMP will hone study skills to become more efficient, but you have to have the base ability and speed to learn at that level. Additionally, most medical students will tell you that the SMP is the most stressful year of all because you're constantly focused on grades and stressed about getting into medical school. I'd conservatively estimate that an SMP requires learning 5x faster than undergrad. The first year of med school is double that. If anxiety is a factor for you, the SMP is going to be the biggest hurdle you've ever faced.

I would urge you to do some introspection and figure out if you really have the ability to overcome all of these academic and logistical obstacles.

Reactions: 1 user