Would I have a shot at interventional radiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

spes93

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DO student about 50th percentile at end of OMSII.

3 research experiences from undergrad/grad school, 1 abstract (student "peer-reviewed" journal) no publications. 2 poster presentations in college, 1 recent poster presentation, and corresponding case report currently under peer-review.

5+ volunteer experiences, 5+ work experiences

COMLEX Level 1: 699

Step 1: 260

Red flag(s): Took a medical leave between M1 and M2 for a year. No real peer-reviewed publications.

Currently at start of OMSIII. If I get good LORs and maybe publish a case report or two, and crush Step 2, how good would my shot be at IR?

Thanks for reading!
 
Unsure about IR because of the super small sample size. Seems really volatile. But you're a shoo-in for DR, why not take that route and later decide if IR is for you? With those board exam scores I would shoot high, though. I wouldn't even call that LOA a red flag. Paging @Ho0v-man
 
Unsure about IR because of the super small sample size. Seems really volatile. But you're a shoo-in for DR, why not take that route and later decide if IR is for you? With those board exam scores I would shoot high, though. I wouldn't even call that LOA a red flag. Paging @Ho0v-man
Thanks for the reply! DR->IR fellowship is a safer bet for sure
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dual apply IR/DR, as everyone going for IR does. Have a shot but would think carefully about auditions and try to focus on programs that have taken DOs before. Not sure how much of a red flag the LOA will be.
 
Agree with everything that’s been said up to this point. Focus on auditions and get some banger LORs. Maybe try to get on a project at a nearby program if possible.

As mentioned above, everyone dual applies and no one will think less of you for it. You may find that the programs that offer you IR interviews aren’t quite what you’re looking for and rank them lower than some of your DR programs with the intent to go esir—>IR.
 
I would do the standard DR first. It's far easier to get into than a dedicated IR and you might find another area you really like.