Would it be any hope for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samira

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends;
I Am A Recently Foriegn Medical Graduate (2003), And I Am Really Interested In The Feild Of Radiology, But By Considering Its Degree Of Competetiveness I Have Been Really Frustrated. I Have Did My Best In Usmle Exams , But I Do Not Have Any Clinical Exp. In Us And No Lor From American Professors.
With The Above Scheme Do You See Any Hope For Me, Or I Should Quit My Dream . I Would Be Greated If You Could Inform Me Any Similar Fmg Radiology Residents You Might Know In Your Ward.
I Should Be Most Greatful For All Inconviniences

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for your clarifing respone.
would you please answer the following Qs:
1- what if i take one year prelimnary IM or surgery , and then apply?
2- does good usmle scores open the gates for FMGs or it is just lubricating for US grads?
3-about publication, do you think it is useful to have some first auther peer review journal publication in fields other than Rad. or the PDs do not care.
looking foreward to hearing from you.

no offense, but I suggest you improve your English language skills first.

Members don't see this ad :)
no kidding! he would need a hell of a transcription service.

the caps make it really hard to read :eek:

Maybe you could do all caps. That would make you stand out. Right now, you are just stuck between CAPS and no caps...hard to notice.

samira said:
thanks for your clarifing respone.
would you please answer the following Qs:
1- what if i take one year prelimnary IM or surgery , and then apply?
2- does good usmle scores open the gates for FMGs or it is just lubricating for US grads?
3-about publication, do you think it is useful to have some first auther peer review journal publication in fields other than Rad. or the PDs do not care.
looking foreward to hearing from you.

1. I have known a few FMGs that got in after a year of internship. Not necessary, but if you don't get in the first time, you can apply during your internship.

2. Good (or should I say outstanding) USMLEs are almost required for FMGs. It will not guarantee anything, but remember that most US grads applying have very high scores too. Unless you are a research publication machine, scores are very important for an FMG.

Have a backup field in case you are unsuccessful.

3. Publications help. Rads publications help more. First author rads publications help even more.

Thanks Docexter for your response.
First of all I know that my first two massages where full of grammatical and semantical errors, and I should seriously apologize for that.
By the way, let me tell you more about my present situation:
I am a 27-year old medical graduate from a developing country, my usmle scores in USMLE step 1&2 are 264&271 respectively. i have green card and about my research accomplishments, I have six peer review journal publication in basic science fields (they are in standard but not top journals) and I am first auther in 3 of them. As I do not have any hand-on clinical experience in US, my immediate plan would be applying for one year internship in prelim. surg. or IM or transitional year.I would be delighted if you help me with following Qs:
1-Which of these 3 would be more appropriate for a person in my situation who like to persue his goal in radiology?
2-As most IM preliminary and Trans. programs are filled by AMGs who secured a spot in 2006, would you please introduce me any U. based IM preliminary program which might consider an undesignated applicant like me.
Anothe time I should be greatful for all inconveniences.

samira said:
Thanks Docexter for your response.
First of all I know that my first two massages where full of grammatical and semantical errors, and I should seriously apologize for that.
By the way, let me tell you more about my present situation:
I am a 27-year old medical graduate from a developing country, my usmle scores in USMLE step 1&2 are 264&271 respectively. i have green card and about my research accomplishments, I have six peer review journal publication in basic science fields (they are in standard but not top journals) and I am first auther in 3 of them. As I do not have any hand-on clinical experience in US, my immediate plan would be applying for one year internship in prelim. surg. or IM or transitional year.I would be delighted if you help me with following Qs:
1-Which of these 3 would be more appropriate for a person in my situation who like to persue his goal in radiology?
2-As most IM preliminary and Trans. programs are filled by AMGs who secured a spot in 2006, would you please introduce me any U. based IM preliminary program which might consider an undesignated applicant like me.
Anothe time I should be greatful for all inconveniences.

I sent you a private message.

samira said:
Hi Friends;
I Am A Recently Foriegn Medical Graduate (2003), And I Am Really Interested In The Feild Of Radiology, But By Considering Its Degree Of Competetiveness I Have Been Really Frustrated. I Have Did My Best In Usmle Exams , But I Do Not Have Any Clinical Exp. In Us And No Lor From American Professors.
With The Above Scheme Do You See Any Hope For Me, Or I Should Quit My Dream . I Would Be Greated If You Could Inform Me Any Similar Fmg Radiology Residents You Might Know In Your Ward.
I Should Be Most Greatful For All Inconviniences

Wow - no offense, but that is just about the worst written paragraph I've ever seen in a long time. I suggest that you pay for the services of an English proofreader, even for just preliminary enquiry type letters to the various programs. Otherwise, even though you may be extremely qualified, after reading that kinda prose, few would hesitate in tossing your letter.

Just some friendly advice.

Triple (Black), reread your first sentence. Signed, Kettle

Not to cast doubt on the OP's scores, but I would think you could write in proper english with those board scores. Good luck anyhow :)

i personally think with your scores you will get a handful of interviews, and possibly even match. i would say that 90% of the rads programs are probably competitive in that they would like more diversity in their applicants' applications, but i still think there are a substantial amount of programs that are so "monotonous" that they will interview you because of your good exam taking ability. remember, rads boards are some of the most difficult in all fields. the written as well as the oral. one of the biggest factors for rads programs' accreditations is how their residents do on their boards. thus, a lot of pd's dont hesitate to take good test takers. doesnt matter whether a person has a 278 or a 248 on the usmle's. chances are that they dont know much about rads until they start the program. but the guy with the 278 is a sure bet since he'll have the aptitude and skills to get through the boards....and pretty much anything else in the program. even the guy witha 248 will get in somewhere. if he's a foreign grad...well..questionable. he'll need more things on the application to gaurantee hmiself a rads position. these days, majority of the applicants for rads have great scores, and thus the ones that have further attributes like research, good letters, pretty much get in to their higher ranked choices. but, all in all...with your scores..im sure you'll get interviews. very few u.s. grads applying to rads programs - big academic programs - have scores as good as yours. dont worry about your grammar too much. when you get to the interview...ultimately...if they like you...they like you. send me a private message if you have more q's. good luck