Would it be ok to ask my PD for help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dallasmavericksko

Reaction score
This is somewhat of an odd question but I thought I’d anonymously throw it to the hive:

I am completing my internal medicine residency and will be continuing in July as a heme-onc fellow at the same institution. My fiancé is applying to NP school at the same hospital I am currently at but is unsure of her chances of getting accepted. My question is: Should I casually ask my internal medicine PD to see if he can pull some strings for me or make some phone calls for my fiancé if he knows people in the nursing school? What kind of potential backlash could this have on me?

I have been a stellar resident and have not caused any troubles for my PD. My PD was also grateful that I chose to stay at my home institution for fellowship even though he knew I had several more prestigious choices out of state. We are in a small city where people know people and he has been the PD for 30+ years and is a big name at our hospital. Most of the current fellowship PDs actually used to be his residents. In terms of him being able to help my fiancé out, I know it’s a long-shot but I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I dont think there is any risk of backlash, this is just networking in a sense. I do doubt that your PD will be able to help in any meaningful way because the fields are completely separate. You would be better off asking one of the unit managers you are familiar with if he/she has a connection to the NP school and going that route IMO.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Find a smarter fiancé if they can’t get accepted into np school
The irony of it coming from someone who went into Medicine. We're not exactly the brightest bunch if we stared at that contract for Med School and knew the hours/stress/etc which came with it and still said "HELL YES!"

Reactions: 1 users
The irony of it coming from someone who went into Medicine. We're not exactly the brightest bunch if we stared at that contract for Med School and knew the hours/stress/etc which came with it and still said "HELL YES!"
I agree we shoulda all been mids and had the best of both worlds