Would it be possible to apply this upcoming cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelilyhammer

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a non-trad wondering if it would be reasonable to try applying this upcoming June for admission Fall 2023. I have orgo II, physics II, and biochem left and also need to prep for and take the DAT. I was planning on taking orgo II and physics II next term and taking biochem sometime after applying, but I have no clue when I would take care of the DAT. I sort of, naively, thought I could try to prep for the DAT next term on top of taking orgo and physics AND working 20-3 hours a week, but I now recognize how bonkers that plan is.

Could I finish physics and orgo and take the DAT late? Should I hold off on my remaining prereqs to focus entirely on DAT prep? As far as I understand, you can apply with a few outstanding credits depending on the school.

OR should I just hold off on applying next year, finish everything, and try to apply the following year? I know this is probably the most sensible solution, but as a somewhat older non-trad, every year I wait has some heavier implications on my life.

Thanks for any thoughts you have!

Members don't see this ad.

First you should look at the content included in the DAT from the DAT Candidate Guide. There is no physics on the DAT, so you can delay taking this class until after you take the DAT. Organic though has some coverage on the DAT including aromatics which is included in the exam. You usually should take the DAT once you finish all of your organic coursework.

Reactions: 1 user
How much shadowing and volunteer hours do you have? Do you LORs lined up?
I’ve got about 6000 hours as a DA in GP and perio, and 2000 hours as an EDDA in a public health center. I’ve got multiple doctors that can write me LORs with direct ties to my in-state school. My GPA is not that strong though, 3.3 and 3.4 for cumulative and science respectively. I do have a strong upward trend for my last 60 credits since returning to school. I think the most imperative thing for my app is going to be rocking the DAT.

Reactions: 1 user