would love advice on post bac programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedical18

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to post-bac programs now and would love any advice on applications, the premedical track, and anything else anybody has offer on the topic! Thanks!

Also, does anybody know how long it usually takes for post-bac programs to let you know if you either got in or were granted an interview? I am looking at Columbia, Bryn Mawr, and Tufts. I would also love more feedback on the Columbia program, I have heard mixed reviews. I don't know how good my chances are for getting into these programs- I have a 3.25 GPA from an Ivy League School due to a low GPA freshman year, but a 3.6 concentration GPA for psychology, 3.7 GPA junior year overall. I did medical research last year and am teaching this year, have had short articles published, and have decided to fulfill my dream of becoming a doctor, something that I had put aside for awhile because I am not "naturally" good at sciences. I am determined to work hard though, and am a type A person/ competitive distance runner through high school and college so I have that part down. Any feedback on my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you right now. I've been researching the Postbaccalaureate programs and am hoping to apply. In my glancing through the websites of the various programs I have seen different timelines listed, but I think you'd have to go to each program's page and just read through and find it. If I remember correctly some I've read said to expect a response back in roughly two or three weeks (a rolling admission), other non-rolling admission schools don't make decisions until after the application deadline. Just go back to Bryn Mawr, Tufts, etc. and look through the application sections, they might have a sentence or two that explains their policy. If you find nothing there, then I'd contact them by email or phone. Good luck!

Thanks for your help, I'll look more carefully but I don't think Tufts or Bryn Mawr or Columbia tell you when to expect to hear back. Does anyone else there have feedback on these programs or could give advice on my chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Frustrating, I know. You'd think that schools want to make their media as user-friendly as possible, that way their applicants can easily apply, but nope! Good luck.

Thanks for your help, I'll look more carefully but I don't think Tufts or Bryn Mawr or Columbia tell you when to expect to hear back. Does anyone else there have feedback on these programs or could give advice on my chances?

Hey

Why did you choose those 3? I'm not sure what the common thread is. If you want a 1 year program, you should be looking at Bryn Mawr, Goucher, Hopkins (a bit longer than 1 year but close). I think scripps is a 1 year program as well, but I don't know the west coast very well. If you want a 2 year program, then you have a lot of selection (including columbia, penn, HES, etc). Not quite sure what tufts' deal is. Anyway good luck with the process.