Would medical school be worth it for me or my girlfriend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

community_college_rox

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
(might be a weird or stupid question, but u think about things way too much and it's gnawing at me) I'm 18 year old guy, and my girlfriend is 20, both nursing students. She's wanted to be a doctor (pediatrician specifically) for a long time, and she isn't really aware of the implications of getting a medical education in America. I also wanted to be a pediatrician after seeing a few YouTube videos of some pediatrician's workday, but kind of gave up that 'dream' when I realized how difficult a road it would be, and how at the end I'd be doing a lot more than poking fat babies and playing with cute kids all day (namely paperwork).

I've told her that it might be a better option to think about becoming a NP or PA, which, despite having lower pay overall, would still pay really well (with less paid in taxes), would require a lot less of a time and money investment (for religious reasons we can't pay interest on loans, so we'd have to pay for it out of pocket somehow), and wouldn't involve a lot of the BS that primary care medical practice seems to be these days. Is my reasoning accurate? Or should I encourage her to embark on the >decade long, highly streasful journey I'm not sure either of us would end up being able to handle? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Btw, I have a lot of respect for people going into primary care, and medicine in general for the purpose of helping others. I'd like to be a baby doctor, but I feel that I have a very idealized view of the profession and wouldn't be satisfied with it in the end given how much sacrifice I'd have to make

(might be a weird or stupid question, but u think about things way too much and it's gnawing at me) I'm 18 year old guy, and my girlfriend is 20, both nursing students. She's wanted to be a doctor (pediatrician specifically) for a long time, and she isn't really aware of the implications of getting a medical education in America. I also wanted to be a pediatrician after seeing a few YouTube videos of some pediatrician's workday, but kind of gave up that 'dream' when I realized how difficult a road it would be, and how at the end I'd be doing a lot more than poking fat babies and playing with cute kids all day (namely paperwork).

I've told her that it might be a better option to think about becoming a NP or PA, which, despite having lower pay overall, would still pay really well (with less paid in taxes), would require a lot less of a time and money investment (for religious reasons we can't pay interest on loans, so we'd have to pay for it out of pocket somehow), and wouldn't involve a lot of the BS that primary care medical practice seems to be these days. Is my reasoning accurate? Or should I encourage her to embark on the >decade long, highly streasful journey I'm not sure either of us would end up being able to handle? Thank you
This reminds me of another story being discussed here on SDN about 18 year old guy and his 20 year old girlfriend. She wants to go to med school, but he is not very supportive, also nursing student.
My boyfriend doesn't want me to go to medical school

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

If you aren’t married, you aren’t important enough to be changing her plans for life. Cowboy up and be her husband or let her do her thing

Reactions: 3 users
I'd encourage both of you to gather as much info as possible about the professions you mentioned and see what interests you both the most. All are huge time and money investments, you don't want to get into something you end up hating. Go out and shadow a pediatrician or other docs, PA, NP and encourage your gf to do the same. Talk to people in the profession, get a clearer picture of what each entails. I wouldn't try to encourage or discourage your girlfriend on her career choice, let her make the decision.

You’re 18. You don’t even know what you want, and she probably doesn’t either. Judging by your and (if it’s actually) her post, both of you are incredibly immature. Take some time to grow up. Stop trying to choose other people’s lives for them, you’re 18, you don’t know anything about anything.

Reactions: 4 users
out of curiosity what religious limitations are there on paying interest on loans?

Reactions: 1 users
You're 18 and dating. Why do you think you should get to decide what she wants to do with her life? If she wants to become a doctor, encourage her.

Reactions: 1 user
out of curiosity what religious limitations are there on paying interest on loans?
Some interpretations of Islam prohibit paying interest. In addition, medieval Christianity forbade the practice, though I don't know if any denominations still exist that believe this way.

Ya’ll can’t even legally drink yet

Some interpretations of Islam prohibit paying interest. In addition, medieval Christianity forbade the practice, though I don't know if any denominations still exist that believe this way.

Thank you the response, I had never heard of that interpretation before.

Btw, I have a lot of respect for people going into primary care, and medicine in general for the purpose of helping others. I'd like to be a baby doctor, but I feel that I have a very idealized view of the profession and wouldn't be satisfied with it in the end given how much sacrifice I'd have to make
:wtf:

perhaps you should do some shadowing or better acclimate yourself to the field of medicine beyond watching glamorized YouTube videos