Would my past failed classes prevent me from getting into a med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

idm163

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attended a community college because of cost, transportation, and I had no help/idea about applying to colleges. I received a D, F, and some WF's not because I didn't do my work or couldn't but rather because of personal matters. I had to withdrawal or either keep going and ended up with that result.
It was one semester and one class another semester.
I also took criminal justice courses during high school that was at the college too, and I received D's, so that's on my transcript too. It was a very rushed class, and the instructor never showed us our grades. And I don't plan on retaking them because that's not my choice major.
Majority of my grades are A's. I have a high gpa, and I will keep that up throughout my undergraduate studies.
I won't be able to get an associates degree, but I've repeated almost all the classes I received those low grades on and passed with A's.
I'm worried about not getting into a university and in the future med school because of that.
What are the chances? Would they allow me to explain? Are there any resources?
If I had a high gpa and met all the requirements, would those classes I failed and repeated highly affect their decision (university admission/med school)?
I know the requirements for both institutions, and I'm confident I can achieve them. I'm just worried about my past classes.
I want to attend Duke. It is close to where I live and a fantastic school.
I know it is very competitive but so are most any other med schools close or out of state. If I can't get in the med schools nearby, I'm sure I won't get in the ones out of state.
The university isn't very competitive, so I am mostly worried about med school.
I'm still very early and plan on transferring. But I wanted to know ahead of time. I know about having a high GPA, EC, and MCAT score.
Has anyone had a similar experience or know of someone in similar experience especially from the med school I want to attend?

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.