Would Pharmacy be the right school choice for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeeAlicea

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if you guys get a lot of these posts :[ just sorta confused on what to do!

I'm 21, I plan on attending Worcester State College in the spring I have not attended college before but I have graduated from high school.. back in 07 lol

I have Systemic Lupus & I have Renal Vasculitis so after high school with all of the flare- ups & hospital stays I had almost no motivation to go back to school. I've been around Doctors, Hospitals & Medicine my whole entire life. It's the only thing that seems right to me & seems like something I could enjoy doing for the rest of my life. Actually I know it's something that I will love.

Basically I'm just wondering if it's something I want bad enough & something that I feel I could be committed to for the rest of my life could someone who has not been to school in years do this?
:) I understand the commitment & the amount of schooling & work that needs to be put in to do this & I've never been more ready or excited for it.

Thanks
:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry if you guys get a lot of these posts :[ just sorta confused on what to do!

I'm 21, I plan on attending Worcester State College in the spring I have not attended college before but I have graduated from high school.. back in 07 lol

I have Systemic Lupus & I have Renal Vasculitis so after high school with all of the flare- ups & hospital stays I had almost no motivation to go back to school. I've been around Doctors, Hospitals & Medicine my whole entire life. It's the only thing that seems right to me & seems like something I could enjoy doing for the rest of my life. Actually I know it's something that I will love.

Basically I'm just wondering if it's something I want bad enough & something that I feel I could be committed to for the rest of my life could someone who has not been to school in years do this? :) I understand the commitment & the amount of schooling & work that needs to be put in to do this & I've never been more ready or excited for it.

You don't really have a question do you? ;):p

Good Luck Anyway!

You don't really have a question do you? ;):p

Good Luck Anyway!

Hahah but I dooo, I'm really rusty on school & people I've talked to IRL say it's not the best choice considering I have not been to school in so long :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahah but I dooo, I'm really rusty on school & people I've talked to IRL say it's not the best choice considering I have not been to school in so long :/

You already know what you are going to do though. Start with the prereqs and see how it goes. If you are motivated you will do fine.

You already know what you are going to do though. Start with the prereqs and see how it goes. If you are motivated you will do fine.

I guess it's sort of if I want it bad enough I will achieve it. Thanks though :) <3

I started the pharmacy program at age 23; I've known people as old as 40-plus. All of us were, however, in excellent health.

Is your disease controlled?

I guess it's sort of if I want it bad enough I will achieve it. Thanks though :) <3

Oh I could have mentioned if you do a two year route you will be 23 when you start pharmacy school. That is right in range with the average pharmacy school student. Even if you go the 4 year route you still will not be old by any means. Like the above poster mentioned there are even 30-40 YO people in pharmacy school.

Of course you are worried about being out of school for a while, but honestly you will probably find it easier (in a sense) now that you have been out in the "real" world. It does suck sometimes when it seems like the old noogin won't hold what it used to though. :laugh: You will be fine. :thumbup:

Basically I'm just wondering if it's something I want bad enough & something that I feel I could be committed to for the rest of my life could someone who has not been to school in years do this? :) I understand the commitment & the amount of schooling & work that needs to be put in to do this & I've never been more ready or excited for it.

Wow! thumbs up to your motivation despite your setbacks! I wish you a healthy and bright future! :xf:

I started the pharmacy program at age 23; I've known people as old as 40-plus. All of us were, however, in excellent health.

Is your disease controlled?

As of right now not completely, I still have flare-ups once & a while. But monday we're going to my doctors & I'm going to start Methotrexate to hopefully put me back in remission for a looong time :) Obviously I'm scared that the stress & lack of sleep from trying to reach my goal will cause flare-ups but I'm going to try to be as normal as everyone else & not let it take over my life anymore.

Oh I could have mentioned if you do a two year route you will be 23 when you start pharmacy school. That is right in range with the average pharmacy school student. Even if you go the 4 year route you still will not be old by any means. Like the above poster mentioned there are even 30-40 YO people in pharmacy school.

Of course you are worried about being out of school for a while, but honestly you will probably find it easier (in a sense) now that you have been out in the "real" world. It does suck sometimes when it seems like the old noogin won't hold what it used to though. You will be fine.

This is exactly the answer I was looking for :) I was scared people usually start right when they get out of high school when their still fresh with the school stuff lol Thank you :)

Wow! thumbs up to your motivation despite your setbacks! I wish you a healthy and bright future!

Thanks so much! I love how supportive you guys are haha, all I get from my family is CHEMISTRY SUCKS & this is too much for you :[

My alumni magazine had a story a while back about a student who had undergone a small bowel transplant. I don't remember what disease she originally had, but her meds were stabilized and she said she was in relatively good health.

Hey, be careful with Methotrexate, my uncle had a bad side effect with that.

My friend had cancer and was getting chemo during pharmacy school. I mean there were a few days where he missed class or an exam, but the teachers understood his valid reasons.

He started pharmacy school with me, and he finished pharmacy school with me. If you put your mind to it, you can do it.