Would really appreciate your advice! Thank you!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterFlash

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello:

If you're reading this, thank you- I would love as much feedback and advice as I can get. It's always been my dream to go to medical school and my husband and I have recently been able to make a plan for me to attempt what I've always wanted. I graduated from undergrad 11 years ago -- I went through some personal difficulties at the time and have low cum gpa of 2.59 - psychology major. Additionally, I have low SAT scores - it's been so long I honestly can't even remember, but I think it was 1070/1090/something like that.

Since college, I have been working with foster youth and the mentally ill. I really enjoy it and got my master's degree in social work in 2009. I was in a much better space, more mature and knew what I wanted and I graduated with a 3.979 GPA. Since then, I've passed by state licensure exams and have been employed as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. I have several years experience providing therapy and behavioral health services to children and families, as well as working in a pediatric clinic as the developmental social worker.

I still need to take all my science classes so think a post bacc would be best for me -- I am concerned though -- do you guys think I have a chance of getting in to a post bacc with my low GPA and SAT score? All the programs I've seen require standardized test scores.
Because of my low GPA, should I try to study and take the GRE? instead of submitting an old SAT score?

I am looking for honest feedback about how to proceed and if I have a chance of getting in to a post bacc and subsequent medical school with my undergrad past.

I am also Latina (born here to immigrant parents) and have read this may help me too?

Thank you if you read this whole post!

Members don't see this ad.

Nice graduate level GPA - that will help convince adcoms you are capable of graduate level work. SAT scores do not have any bearing on medical admissions - only MCAT and GPA in terms of quantitative measures. No GRE is accepted at a medical school - must be MCAT. If I were you, I would consult your undergraduate institution's premedical advisor and set up an appointment if they would still accept you to come in. That would be the best place to start.

Nice graduate level GPA - that will help convince adcoms you are capable of graduate level work. SAT scores do not have any bearing on medical admissions - only MCAT and GPA in terms of quantitative measures. No GRE is accepted at a medical school - must be MCAT. If I were you, I would consult your undergraduate institution's premedical advisor and set up an appointment if they would still accept you to come in. That would be the best place to start.

thank you! I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I am going to apply to post bacc programs first to take all my pre-req sciences classes. i'm just concerned with my low sat and undergrad gpa, that I won't even get in to a post bacc pre-med program.

Members don't see this ad :)
SAT is NOT relevant. Recent coursework always offsets prior poor performance. Do well in the pre-req's and the MCAT and then see what happens.

I think she's asking if she can get into a post-bacc with that uGPA and SAT as some post-bacc programs look at those metrics.

MasterFlash, I think that most post-bacc programs are more holistic than to look at a 15 year old SAT. If you apply and are turned down, call the school and talk to them Or talk to the post-bacc admissions people now, while you're in the planning phase.

Reactions: 1 user
I think she's asking if she can get into a post-bacc with that uGPA and SAT as some post-bacc programs look at those metrics.

MasterFlash, I think that most post-bacc programs are more holistic than to look at a 15 year old SAT. If you apply and are turned down, call the school and talk to them Or talk to the post-bacc admissions people now, while you're in the planning phase.

Thank you!

You can get into a postbac or 2nd bach program. You don't have to do one in bio or whatever, as long as you get the courses needed. You should retake your required sciences and make A's along with biochem, then retake the MCAT. 11 yrs plus ago is too long for many schools for required courses and you need to be fresh on them for the MCAT. Get shadowing hours and then see at that point where you stand. It's possible for you to get into med school but until you demonstrate you can handle it you won't have a chance, so make those A's and rock the mcat. DO schools also allow grade replacement so you could retake courses below a C and that might bump your ugpa significantly.

Good luck

Your most recent academic history will count the most, as it is representative of what you are capable of currently. I would contact as many Post Bac programs as possible to find out what their admissions process is like and you can always do a little research to find out who the admissions director is and shoot them an email.

Your SAT is null as this point, no institution will look at it, unless you intend to apply to Harvard. Your undergrad GPA shouldn't be a problem since you have an upward trend in GPA. Tu eres bueno!

Being a Latina (Hispanic) will certainly help you for the Medical School admissions process and it is an advantage, but just get through that Post Bac program and study hard for the MCAT. That is the best advice anyone will give you :)

I hope you are able to find a program that is suitable and best of luck with your studies!

Your most recent academic history will count the most, as it is representative of what you are capable of currently. I would contact as many Post Bac programs as possible to find out what their admissions process is like and you can always do a little research to find out who the admissions director is and shoot them an email.

Your SAT is null as this point, no institution will look at it, unless you intend to apply to Harvard. Your undergrad GPA shouldn't be a problem since you have an upward trend in GPA. Tu eres bueno!

Being a Latina (Hispanic) will certainly help you for the Medical School admissions process and it is an advantage, but just get through that Post Bac program and study hard for the MCAT. That is the best advice anyone will give you :)

I hope you are able to find a program that is suitable and best of luck with your studies!

Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement!! Means a lot! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Well, couldn't you take the GRE for a post-bacc program or the like and submit that? You should do quite well on it if you are a good test-taker.