would these courses be factored into my amcas science gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbaek

One day at a time....
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
would a geology course be counted as a science course?

and how about a general health course?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

bbaek said:

No, geology and health will NOT be counted as part of your AMCAS BCPM (Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Math) GPA. When you start filling out your AMCAS, there is a help section that will help you determine how to classify your courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
but precalc taken during high school at a community college will still count in the BCPM gpa, correct?

Right, Geology and the Health class are not AMCAS BCPM classes, but the PreCalc class should count

but isn't geology considered a physical science and isn't health considered a bio class?

Is biochem figured into BCPM? I took biochem three times:

BMB 461
BMB 462
BMB 101 Freshman year "seminar" class, do you think this would be counted in?

AStudent said:
Is biochem figured into BCPM? I took biochem three times:

BMB 461
BMB 462
BMB 101 Freshman year "seminar" class, do you think this would be counted in?
ofcourse. :)

Even the seminar class? :laugh: I only showed up twice and got a 4.0

virilep said:
ofcourse. :)

hey, it still is on the transcipt as a bio chem course. i put in my thermodynamics and a chem course, but it was listed under engineering. if ur not sure, u can always ask ur pre med advisor.

bbaek said:
but isn't geology considered a physical science and isn't health considered a bio class?
Physical science does not = physics/chemistry
and Health is no bio class

I hope you were just kidding with that post!

How about zoology? :confused:

For all of you wondering, it all depends on what the transcript says.

If it's BIO 300 - Human Health, it'll count.
If it's HLTH 300 - Human Health, it won't.

That's why it is important to take courses that are dual listed under the BIO heading. The people at AMCAS just plug and chug. All they are concerned with is the 3 or 4 letter designation before your course.

so GEO XXXX will not count in the BCPM? GEO = Geology

bbaek said:
so GEO XXXX will not count in the BCPM? GEO = Geology

Um, no. As mentioned before, this is PHYSICAL science, not physics or chemistry.

Under the physics heading, about the only things that count are courses with the physics designation and astronomy courses. I think biochemistry is counted under chemistry, but don't quote me on that.

When you go to classify your courses, AMCAS will give you 15-20 options to use. There is a help section on that page that lists examples of the types of courses that should be listed under each category. If, after reading the help page, you are still confused about how to classify a class, put it under the classification that will help you the most. The worst that will happen is that AMCAS will reclassify it. I took an Anatomy and Physiology for Paramedics class that is listed in the catalog as "Fire Science Technology". Under the advice of my advisor, I did NOT list this as a Biology class (she thought that with the FST designation it wouldn't be considered rigorous enough to be counted in the BCPM). Much to my surprise, when AMCAS verified my application they changed the classification to Biology.

My advice: USE THE HELP SECTIONS THAT ACCOMPANY EACH SECTION OF THE AMCAS!!! Believe it or not, MOST of the help sections do clarify things. :)