Would this Academic Fresh Start Program be relevant/applicable to those trying to reinvent themselves?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fu_shuai

Reaction score
I posted couple months ago on here, delineating my plan to academically reinvent myself. I am just short of one class to graduate (21 years old currently), and plan to start my reinvention journey in the Fall of 2020. I stumbled across this link on my university's website Fresh Start through Academic Renewal, which states that a 36 month hiatus from school would make one eligible to start anew. Lately, I have pretty melancholic due to my academic mishaps which stemmed from apathy and am dying to get back on track and accomplish something. Obviously, the hiatus is a negative, but forsure much more favorable than that of TFS in which one would need to take a ten year hiatus before undergoing this whole process. What are your guys' thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I posted couple months ago on here, delineating my plan to academically reinvent myself. I am just short of one class to graduate (21 years old currently), and plan to start my reinvention journey in the Fall of 2020. I stumbled across this link on my university's website Fresh Start through Academic Renewal, which states that a 36 month hiatus from school would make one eligible to start anew. Lately, I have pretty melancholic due to my academic mishaps which stemmed from apathy and am dying to get back on track and accomplish something. Obviously, the hiatus is a negative, but forsure much more favorable than that of TFS in which one would need to take a ten year hiatus before undergoing this whole process. What are your guys' thoughts on this?
What your school does doesn’t matter. I think tx does something similar which may work for the Texas application service. However, Amcas and aacomas will still calculate all the grades you have ever had regardless of your universities fresh start. As a fellow non trad I know this blows, and personally think it’s ridiculous. This is why DO schools eliminating grade replacement sucked so bad. I still have 15 year old classes I failed dragging my gpa down because I didn’t give a $&@&@ at 18. Best of luck.

What your school does doesn’t matter. I think tx does something similar which may work for the Texas application service. However, Amcas and aacomas will still calculate all the grades you have ever had regardless of your universities fresh start. As a fellow non trad I know this blows, and personally think it’s ridiculous. This is why DO schools eliminating grade replacement sucked so bad. I still have 15 year old classes I failed dragging my gpa down because I didn’t give a $&@&@ at 18. Best of luck.
Ok, sounds good. Thanks for your response. I guess then the most favorable course of action is just to buckle up and start reinventing and just get the ball rolling. It would be somewhat of little to no efficacy to intentionally take a three year hiatus from academic work and then come back to do fresh start and figure out it’s not even recognized in med school applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
What has your performance been like thus far?
I was a stellar student in my first year. Well above a 3.9 and such. I tanked junior and senior year and am sitting at a 2.6 cumulative gpa. I have taken 10 credits over the summer and have got A’s so far and I intend to ace all future coursework. Just hope everything can pan out and come application time a compelling story might be a feasible prospect.

You’ve got time. A postbac to get your gpa above a 3.0 and a strong mcat and you’ll be competitive for DO. A stronger chance at MD is going to require some additional steps.

You’ve got time. A postbac to get your gpa above a 3.0 and a strong mcat and you’ll be competitive for DO. A stronger chance at MD is going to require some additional steps.
My goal is my state MD school

I assume additional step would be the SMP?