Would this be a bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OKgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to plan out my schedule and I'm kinda having a hard time getting everything to fit in. I have a question about if it would be a good idea to take all these classes together:

Organic I (4)
Microbiology (5)
Biochemistry (4)
Computers and Information Access (2)
Introduction to Public Speaking (3)
=18 credits

Would that be really hard to do? I tried to make it easier by sticking 2 easier classes in there. Should I try to switch some classes around so I don't have them all together? It would kind of suck to have 3 labs. The thing that sucks is this would be the only semester that I could take Biochemistry.

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't organic a prerequisite for biochem for you?

If not, you probably still shouldn't take both together. Leave organic and microbiology together, and try to put in something instead of biochem (physics, anatomy, whatever)

I'm trying to plan out my schedule and I'm kinda having a hard time getting everything to fit in. I have a question about if it would be a good idea to take all these classes together:

Organic I (4)
Microbiology (5)
Biochemistry (4)
=18 credits

Would that be really hard to do? I tried to make it easier by sticking 2 easier classes in there. Should I try to switch some classes around so I don't have them all together? It would kind of suck to have 3 labs. The thing that sucks is this would be the only semester that I could take Biochemistry.

I see some SERIOUS problems with your schedule:

Biochemistry 1 BY NO MEANS ( IT'S NOT EVEN PLANNED THAT WAY IN THE CURRICULUM ) should be taken together with organic 1.

1) Organic 1 is a mandatory pre-req for Biochem at my school along with organic 2.

2) The level of difficulty of biochem 1 is a whole notch up from organic. If you have never taken organic 1, THERE IS NO WAY you are going to do well in biochemistry, just because crucial understanding of organic 1 is required for biochemistry. That's like taking advanced spanish w/out taking basic spanish first.

3) When I took biochemistry, my teacher said even though she adds people to the class, in 17 years of her teaching she has never seen anyone who never took organic get higher than a C. In fact she said 97 % fail if they haven't taken organic before.

Same goes for microbiology - you will struggle tremendously, because microbiology essentially is biochem 1 and 2 combined together.

I hope my post does not come off as rude, but I am not trying to scare you or be mean, I am just trying to warn you from making one of the biggest mistakes I, as a tutor and a chemistry instructor myself, see people do, and that is plan their schedule extremely poorly.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
get rid of biochem from that schedule, and you should be fine.

although i would take 3 science courses and 1 "normal" course, rather than 3 science courses and 2 "normal" courses. but that's just me....your schedule looks perfectly fine if you just take out biochem

I see some SERIOUS problems with your schedule:

Biochemistry 1 BY NO MEANS ( IT'S NOT EVEN PLANNED THAT WAY IN THE CURRICULUM ) should be taken together with organic 1.

1) Organic 1 is a mandatory pre-req for Biochem at my school along with organic 2.

2) The level of difficulty of biochem 1 is a whole notch up from organic. If you have never taken organic 1, THERE IS NO WAY you are going to do well in biochemistry, just because crucial understanding of organic 1 is required for biochemistry. That's like taking advanced spanish w/out taking basic spanish first.

3) When I took biochemistry, my teacher said even though she adds people to the class, in 17 years of her teaching she has never seen anyone who never took organic get higher than a C. In fact she said 97 % fail if they haven't taken organic before.

Same goes for microbiology - you will struggle tremendously, because microbiology essentially is biochem 1 and 2 combined together.

I hope my post does not come off as rude, but I am not trying to scare you or be mean, I am just trying to warn you from making one of the biggest mistakes I, as a tutor and a chemistry instructor myself, see people do, and that is plan their schedule extremely poorly.
I didn't see that as rude in any way. It was actually very helpful.

Does the fact that the class is Organic/Biochem make a difference? Here is the course description:
CHEM 2114 ORGANIC/BIOCHEMISTRY
A survey course covering sufficient organic chemistry to support eight weeks of biochemistry material. The course is designed for Medical Technology majors, Environmental Technology majors, and Chemistry minors. The laboratory component of the course is designed to fortify the understanding of the major topics of the course. Prerequisites: CHEM 1303 (Chemistry II lecture) and CHEM 1352 (Chemistry II lab).

Does the fact that the class is Organic/Biochem make a difference? Here is the course description:
A survey course covering sufficient organic chemistry to support eight weeks of biochemistry material. The course is designed for Medical Technology majors, Environmental Technology majors, and Chemistry minors. The laboratory component of the course is designed to fortify the understanding of the major topics of the course. Prerequisites: CHEM 1303 (Chemistry II lecture) and CHEM 1352 (Chemistry II lab).

Will that even cover prereqs for pharmacy? I know biochem isn't a prereq at many schools, but all that I've seen so far want you to take 2 semesters of PURELY organic.
It says it's a SURVEY course. Those don't go that much in depth at all, not enough to be qualified as a prereq most likely. I know at my school they don't let you take survey courses as prereqs for any biology/chemistry stuff, and I expect other schools do the same.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how they group chemistry majors with medtechs and environmental technology.

EDIT: Oh wait, that's just organic, but it's to support biochem. Still, I don't know if it's in depth enough to be considered as fulfilling the organic prereq. Ask the pharmacy schools you're applying to.

Will that even cover prereqs for pharmacy? I know biochem isn't a prereq at many schools, but all that I've seen so far want you to take 2 semesters of PURELY organic.
It says it's a SURVEY course. Those don't go that much in depth at all, not enough to be qualified as a prereq most likely. I know at my school they don't let you take survey courses as prereqs for any biology/chemistry stuff, and I expect other schools do the same.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how they group chemistry majors with medtechs and environmental technology.

EDIT: Oh wait, that's just organic, but it's to support biochem. Still, I don't know if it's in depth enough to be considered as fulfilling the organic prereq. Ask the pharmacy schools you're applying to.
It wouldn't be for organic. It's just one of the classes required for a biology major. It kinda confuses me because I have to take that for a bio major, but it doesn't mention bio majors in that description.

Wow, what an interesting course ! I've never seen a hybrid of organic and biochem before. It looks like this class is a lot different from Biochem 1 and would be much more lightened version of the concepts that I originally thought.

If you have finished all the prereqs, then you should be prepared for it. In that retrospect your schedule looks intense but doable. You scared me for a minute thinking you are going to be taking Biochem 1, that's why my original has lots of red in it.

The choice is up to you though. I think if you keep your schedule this way, your semester will be challenging but not extraordinarily 'unacopmlishable'. Either way, if you decide to take this course or not, I wish you luck ! ;) :)

most pharm schools won't accept that course so be weary or at least call the school you plan on applying to.

Organic I (4)
Microbiology (5)
Biochemistry (4)
=18 credits

Bad idea. Take out Biochemistry and put a liberal arts class in there.

Wow, what an interesting course ! I've never seen a hybrid of organic and biochem before. It looks like this class is a lot different from Biochem 1 and would be much more lightened version of the concepts that I originally thought.

If you have finished all the prereqs, then you should be prepared for it. In that retrospect your schedule looks intense but doable. You scared me for a minute thinking you are going to be taking Biochem 1, that's why my original has lots of red in it.

The choice is up to you though. I think if you keep your schedule this way, your semester will be challenging but not extraordinarily 'unacopmlishable'. Either way, if you decide to take this course or not, I wish you luck ! ;) :)

From what I understand, the course is essentially "survey of biochemistry." Since biochemistry does build on organic chemistry, the course "survey of biochemistry" is essentially a lower level biochemistry class that starts in organic chemistry and continues on to the basic concepts of biochemistry. I know at my school, people majoring in Human Nutrition and Fitness Exercise take survey to biochemistry because they don't need the rigorous curriculum of general biochemistry. In essence, it is technically a biochemistry class, but a hella easier than the upper level general biochemistry class that requires organic chemistry as a prerequisite.

That's just me though.