Would this be a serious snub?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahumdinger

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to the University of Missouri-Columbia. But I'm also waiting on some miracles to fall in my lap from University of Washington or WashU. Right now, I'm looking to apply to Mizzou's Summer Research Fellowship, and the application is due march 17, with decisions made some time in April. What I have to do is contact one of the faculty members who have agreed to sponsor a summer student, and we have to jointly apply for the fellowship.

I think it's unlikely that I will be accepted to either UW or WashU (but one can only hope, right?), but in the event that I do, say, sometime in april or may (or even later?!!), and I also get the summer fellowship from Mizzou, would it be a terrible snub to the PI for me to withdraw? Should I even apply for the research fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Ooh, that's tough. Do you know when UW and WUSTL are going to decide?

TheProwler said:
Ooh, that's tough. Do you know when UW and WUSTL are going to decide?

University of Washington is going to meet tomorrow, but then not again until mid march. WashU...well, this is WashU's 2nd till last week of interviews, so I expect everyone who's been passed over month after month will finally hear sometime beginning of March, but I'm not positive. They've been keeping a lot of people waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
so i guess I could wait until the end of the month before doing anything, but I am anxious that I won't get the research project/PI I want-- since this fellowship is also open to current Mizzou students. And what happens if I get waitlisted at either WashU or UW? oh the uncertainty!!

ahumdinger said:
I've been accepted to the University of Missouri-Columbia. But I'm also waiting on some miracles to fall in my lap from University of Washington or WashU. Right now, I'm looking to apply to Mizzou's Summer Research Fellowship, and the application is due march 17, with decisions made some time in April. What I have to do is contact one of the faculty members who have agreed to sponsor a summer student, and we have to jointly apply for the fellowship.

I think it's unlikely that I will be accepted to either UW or WashU (but one can only hope, right?), but in the event that I do, say, sometime in april or may (or even later?!!), and I also get the summer fellowship from Mizzou, would it be a terrible snub to the PI for me to withdraw? Should I even apply for the research fellowship?

Do you have to be a student at Mizzou to do the Summer Research Fellowship? Is there any way you can apply and do the fellowship if you get it, and then go to Wash U or UW in the fall if you happen to get accepted? It would definitely be akward, but at least you wouldn't just ditch the prof that you're supposed to do research with. I guess you'd have to check dates and stuff....

yes, I think you have to be a student at mizzou.

hello to those random adcom-ers out there! as faculty, would you feel this is a terribly rude thing to do?

diosa428 said:
Do you have to be a student at Mizzou to do the Summer Research Fellowship? Is there any way you can apply and do the fellowship if you get it, and then go to Wash U or UW in the fall if you happen to get accepted? It would definitely be akward, but at least you wouldn't just ditch the prof that you're supposed to do research with. I guess you'd have to check dates and stuff....
I'd imagine you had to be a student at the time of starting the fellowship.

I don't think you should pass up applying for the fellowship because if you do end up going to Mizzou, you gave up your chance to get it. If you do get off of a waitlist, although the PI might not be too happy, he or she should understand that this process is crazy and that you will obviously take your acceptance to one of those schools because its a better opportunity for you!

I don't think you should do it. You'd leave that PI scrambling for someone if you suddenly withdrew in April. But it's ultimately your call. Personally, I would just find another research program. I'm sure there are plenty.

Why don't you email the PI you are interested in doing research with and explain your situation. If you're honest upfront, it might not be a problem. Surely they understand that many people cannot commit this early to a particular school. Or you could email the Dean of Research at the med school, Dr. Folk, and ask him what he thinks. (I work in his biochem lab...he's a really nice guy and should give you a quick response) That is what I would do, I guess.

macadamianut said:
I don't think you should do it. You'd leave that PI scrambling for someone if you suddenly withdrew in April. But it's ultimately your call. Personally, I would just find another research program. I'm sure there are plenty.

I want to start research at the school where I will ultimately attend, so I can't just "find another program." I don't have many choices.

but SuzieQ, I will take your advice-- thanks!