Would this count as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etabuyo

Reaction score
Hello all! In the last 6 months, I've been working as an "instructor" at an adult day program, where I work with clients who have developmental and intellectual disabilities, such as cerebral palsy, autism, etc. My job as an instructor generally involves supervising 5 clients, their performance, and well-being throughout the day. Specifically, I encourage and assist them in completing their daily objectives, including activities of daily living (brushing teeth, toileting, diaper changing, etc.), range of motion exercises, lunch time (spoon-feeding/meal prep), leisure activities, ambulation, and socializing in addition to client-specific tasks such as writing down their name, basic math, reading, using an exercise pulley, etc. At the end of the day, I complete daily data collection charts (which tracks their behaviors/habits and completion of objectives) and communication books (between myself and the clients' home on behalf of the client) along with monthly ID notes, and annual reports of clients' overall performance and progression in various tasks.

Would this count for anything in terms of my application for medical school? This was actually my first job and I've learned quite a lot in terms of how people with disabilities live and of the different ways and approaches there are when it comes to finding ways to communicate with them whether it be through their native language or learning about their interests and special skills. Of course, I've also learned to become extremely patient and working with my clients has taught me to be grateful for the life I'm able to live because the clients that I've worked with, despite their limited mobility, are so full of life and energy. I know my work setting isn't exactly clinical, but as instructors, we perform body checks and report our findings to our facility nurse, who oversees the gastrostomy (g-tube) feedings and communicates with the clients' homes regarding any incidents. I was also required to be CPR/first aid certified.

I have previously volunteered at a hospital for 2 years in high school (in urgent care, radiology, emergency department, management, etc), which I know doesn't count for my medical school application, but my job as an instructor gave a different perspective on how people with disorders/disabilities live outside of a hospital and in their personal lives. I am also looking into being emt certified or possibly become a cna in the near future. Thank you all.

Side Note: I am a sophomore intending on majoring in neurobiology with a minor in psychology

Members don't see this ad.

@LizzyM (Sorry to tag you, I don’t know on this one and I know you always give good and thorough advice to the quirky experiences on their classification/value)

Reactions: 1 user
This is useful for medical school and will give you a unique perspective on the developmentally disabled both for secondaries and interviews. Work experience is also looked at favorably when it doesn’t impact grades. It will not fulfill all your clinical needs, however, and you most certainly will need to volunteer/shadow in actual clinical settings.

Reactions: 2 users
If it is paid employment, then it is paid employment. It is not clinical. If it is not paid employment, then it is volunteer/non-clinical. That said, it is very valuable experience in that it gives you insights into the lives of the disabled outside of the time they might spend in doctors' offices.

Reactions: 1 users