Would this have hurt my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

datpremedgirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I have a question...when I was submitting my application in early June, I had already received confirmation from a professor that she would write a LOR for me. So I assigned her letter to all my schools, thinking she would send it soon. However, all throughout July, she stopped replying to my emails. I even tried calling her (I wasn't on campus, so I couldn't go to her in person), so I eventually had to withdraw her letter from my application. I did this twice, because after I cancelled it the first time, I had second thoughts and added her back again since I did not want schools to start reviewing my application without her letter. However, now my AMCAS application says that I've withdrawn a LOR twice from the same person. Would this look bad to adcoms? Or can they even see this information? I'm just worried that this may have had negative implications. for my application...Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

@datpremedgirl I doubt it will be a big deal -- probably won't even be a small deal. My friend withdrew his committee letter on AMCAS because it was so late, and he was accepted to medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't even know AMCAS reports LOR withdrawals. Also considering the volume of apps they receive, adcoms will never scrutinize your app as much as you do.

This is just a part of the process. I've been promised LORs before, and the people I asked said they would do it. They came across as enthusiastic and said they could write a strong letter for me. However, even after being in contact with them months in advance, some became unresponsive. This is strange considering that one of the letter writers could have have indirectly made themself look good due to the unique circumstances in which they knew me, and all of my correspondences were cordial and professional. The relationships I established were also fairly positive, and these people seemed to think very highly of me or else I wouldn't have sought a letter from them in the first place. After thinking it over, I can only attribute it to the fact that people can be forgetful and may have a lot of things that they have to deal with.

This is just a part of the process. I've been promised LORs before, and the people I asked said they would do it. They came across as enthusiastic and said they could write a strong letter for me. However, even after being in contact with them months in advance, some became unresponsive. This is strange considering that one of the letter writers could have have indirectly made themself look good due to the unique circumstances in which they knew me, and all of my correspondences were cordial and professional. The relationships I established were also fairly positive, and these people seemed to think very highly of me or else I wouldn't have sought a letter from them in the first place. After thinking it over, I can only attribute it to the fact that people can be forgetful and may have a lot of things that they have to deal with.

It goes beyond forgetful and into unprofessional, particularly if you continued to send polite reminders. If they didn't want to write the letter anymore, it would be professional for them to let you know that instead of ignoring it and hoping you go away.

Reactions: 1 user