Would this qualify for observation hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

o2bapt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A physical therapy office posted an add on Craigslist looking or someone to basically "answer the phones, clean rooms, schedule appointments and help out with patients when needed."

It sounds like one would be planted at the front desk with little time to observe treatments. Would this type of position qualify for observation hours?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say no, but you may be able to get away with it. The problem is if you do end up accepting a job like that, you're going to have to describe it on your resume (if you list it) as "answered phones, cleaned, organized, etc." It will make it look like you took the "observation" hours as a requirement and not to gain knowledge.

I'm assuming it is a paying job, if that's the case then take it if you need money, but not because you want to use it as a requirement. If it's not a paying job, and intended for students on a volunteer basis, then it sounds like they're trying to advantage of you.

There are many opportunities to volunteer in positions where they let you do more than clean and organize. You should expect to do some cleaning at any volunteer job, but many places will at least let the primary focus be observation.

Last edited:
That's kinda what I was thinking. I'm not pursuing right now anyway.... just something I ran across and was curious.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree...I think it'll count. It kinda sounds like a standard job description for a PT tech/aide. I did that for a year and a half, and then was promoted to office manager (all front office work, but since I had been an aide they'd pull me to the back when they got super busy...which was great cuz I'd work with patients like I used to but get paid more than I used to haha).

You can always ask too...call the facility and ask how much patient contact there is. In an outpatient setting, half of the observation experience is seeing how the administration is done since no PT only works with patients...they have to do paperwork, scheduling, etc. as well.

They might have put that in the job description just so potential applicants know it isn't just hands-on patient work. I just looked at the job description where I used to work as an aide: "...greet patients as they arrive to the clinic...work with PTs during therapy and assist office managers and therapists by performing requested clerical and clinical duties."

I think that's pretty standard. And when you apply, you'll have the option to say if it was a paid job or volunteer. I think schools know that paid aide positions are never 100% patient contact, and you'll probably have a ton of hours (well over the minimum requirement), so it'll all balance out. Like I think I had 600 hours from my PT aide experience, so even though it wasn't all hands-on patient contact, I definitely at least had 50 hours of hands-on work.

That makes sense too. Thanks for that perspective.

It will be a few months (if all goes well) until I can leave my current job. Hopefully at that time I can find a PT Aide position. If not, I will still have more time outside of work than I currently do to volunteer and take classes.

My work schedule right now is a lot of hours and my one night class (Physics) is plenty to handle.