Would you cancel this interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

santigold

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I just need some opinions from you guys.
I originally scheduled an interview at this East Coast program at the end of Jan. It's a good program and top 20 USNEWS nonetheless. However, I just checked out the resident list and noticed that one of the residents is a high school buddy from my hometown. He was a friend but I have always thought he's a bit douchey. You know, the Jersey Shore type. Because the program is small (8-9 residents in each class), I am now hesitant whether or not I should go on to the interview.
Normally I am a very sociable person and I genuinely like most of the people I encounter. So it is rare that I don't find someone unappealing.

Over my interview trail, I have met a lot of residents whom I can hang out with.....
but knowing that my friend is in this program and on top of that, based on his FB photos, he does a lot of clubbing and drinking with his fellow residents. It really makes me question about the residents in this program.

What do you guys think? Would you cancel an interview at a good program knowing that some of the residents can be douchey?

Members don't see this ad.

No. Go on the interview (if you're still interested in the program) and see for yourself. I'm not going to write a 3 page diatribe about why it'd be silly to cancel for the reasons you described, but trust me, it would be.

Your so-called douchey buddy made it into residency before you and is now an apparently popular resident at a top program. There doesn't seem to me to be much reason for you to be looking down on him. But if you go along to the interview thinking he is a douche, it may well come across during the day, in which case you will be spared the social embarassment of being associated with him in residency.

WTH dude, I doubt any resident or attending would force you to go clubbing or bar hopping against your will. If residents having fun bothers you, then you might wanna skip the interview for the program's sake.

Ha, I mentioned about his FB photos because I was concerned about the class.

Let me give you an example of his douchebaggieness.
He visited my friend and I one weekend down at Atlanta and we took him to a local club upon his request.
On the dancefloor, he started motorboating a random woman and yelled, "don't worry, I'm a doctor" (he wasn't drunk at the time and he was only a 4th year med student)
I mean... if the class is comfortable with going to clubs with him....

I don't know. It's just a weird feeling thinking that you might end up working under him one day.

He visited my friend and I one weekend down at Atlanta and we took him to a local club upon his request.
On the dancefloor, he started motorboating a random woman and yelled, "don't worry, I'm a doctor" (he wasn't drunk at the time and he was only a 4th year med student)

I don't know. It's just a weird feeling thinking that you might end up working under him one day.

Then don't go if you don't want. You are massively overanalyzing this situation, like most MS4s do.

Any program that is decently sized is likely to at least have 1 or 2 people you have to work under who are douches. You don't even know how often you would work under your "friend" and it's fairly ridiculous to judge all of the other residents based on fbook photos.

You do sound uptight and anal so maybe a program where they go out a lot isn't for you but that's something that you figure out at the pre interview dinner and interview day and not over facebook