Would you contact your elective supervisor before your interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atethesun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing.
Back in Oct, I did an away rotation at this institution and I had a ton of fun with the supervisor. He would try to set me up with attendings who would see interesting patients for the week and he would try to look for interesting seminars and lectures for me blah blah, basically one of the most attentive attendings.

Well, I didn't ask him for a letter because it was kinda late in the application season and I already had enough strong letters from senior attendings at my home institution. Before I left, he strongly recommended me to apply to his program and I sent him a thank-you email.
Anyhoo, I applied to the program and I will be interviewing there next week.

Should I contact the attending?
Is that too much of an ass-kissing? I mean I just want to say hi.

Members don't see this ad.

Go ahead and contact the supervisor. You can make it a "just to let you know" and possibly a thank you thrown in for good measure. He would be glad to see you if he is around that day. Also, he may be able to remind the program director that/if you had a strong rotation.

Didn't you already certify your rank list? And seems strange that the program is still interviewing...many places are doing their rank order list meetings already.

Go ahead and contact the supervisor. You can make it a "just to let you know" and possibly a thank you thrown in for good measure. He would be glad to see you if he is around that day. Also, he may be able to remind the program director that/if you had a strong rotation.

I might just shoot him an email then. Thanks

Didn't you already certify your rank list? And seems strange that the program is still interviewing...many places are doing their rank order list meetings already.

There are still programs in US that are still interviewing. A classmate is interviewing at NYU tomorrow for ortho.

I have an interview Feb. 11...
ROL lists are due the 22nd.

Wow! What specialty? I didn't think any programs would be interviewing past this week at the very latest.

I have a classmate interviewing for anesthesia on the 9th

Wow! What specialty? I didn't think any programs would be interviewing past this week at the very latest.

Quite a few programs interview into late January and early February. Particularly the competitive fields that don't even start their interviewing until after they see your "deans letter" (whatever they call it).