Would you date a therapist?

justcallmepsych4life

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taken, but I wanted to start a fun little thread because I was curious about the responses. Joking aside, would you all (med students, doctors, lawyers, etc.) date a mental health therapist/psychologist? Why or why not?

Members don't see this ad.

Why not?
I think it would be interesting to learn about mental health too

Members don't see this ad :)
OP - I would like to hear your thoughts about dating a psychologist.
How is it like?

ok.. so that is one trait. Therapist keep analyzing people and their relationships etc.
I am JUST at the beginning of a friendship/relationship with one.
I hope you can answer few questions if you dont mind =)
1. What is the difference between a BA Psych, BSc Pyschology, MSc Psychology and a psychologist? Therapist? (OMG you will have to excuse my ignorance. I am really bad at this)
2. Is it true that you folks are better at understanding situations? Your approach to a complex fight is better than the rest out there?
3. Therapist are better parents?
4. What are the things a therapist would look for in a potential spouse? I am sure few are common among all therapist.
5. What are few things that irritate a psychologist?

Your response is welcome and rest of the therapist too.
I am a bit nervous about this. I am an orthopedic resident really interested in someone who just finished her MSc in psychology. I dont even know if these are therapists? or..
She does not want to pursue any thing clinical. She loves kids and as soon as she finished, she said i want to do what i love the most. Teach kindergarden classes. So she is teaching at the moment. She loves spending time with kids, enjoys her job.
All i know is like I her. :happy: I want to know therapists better so i can gain a better understanding.

Last edited:
ok.. so that is one trait. Therapist keep analyzing people and their relationships etc.
I am JUST at the beginning of a friendship/relationship with one.
I hope you can answer few questions if you dont mind =)
1. What is the difference between a BA Psych, BSc Pyschology, MSc Psychology and a psychologist? Therapist? (OMG you will have to excuse my ignorance. I am really bad at this)
2. Is it true that you folks are better at understanding situations? Your approach to a complex fight is better than the rest out there?
3. Therapist are better parents?
4. What are the things a therapist would look for in a potential spouse? I am sure few are common among all therapist.
5. What are few things that irritate a psychologist?

Your response is welcome and rest of the therapist too.
I am a bit nervous about this. I am an orthopedic resident really interested in someone who just finished her MSc in psychology. I dont even know if these are therapists? or..
She does not want to pursue any thing clinical. She loves kids and as soon as she finished, she said i want to do what i love the most. Teach kindergarden classes. So she is teaching at the moment. She loves spending time with kids, enjoys her job.
All i know is like I her. :happy: I want to know therapists better so i can gain a better understanding.
interesting thread topic, lol
To address some of Orthobod's questions:
1. Not much practical difference between BA and Bsc and you're certainly not licensed to do any therapy at that point. Folks with MSc (depending on which degree they get) can be licensed to do some therapy. A psychologist has a doctorate degree (although I have been told that in a couple of states folks with a masters in school psych can use the label psychologist; the rules about who can use the term varies from state to state. This is the only one of your questions that is really answerable, but I'll blabber on about the others for funsies.

2. Um- what do you mean "situations?" Anyway, the the two questions in number 2 are going to vary widely depending on the person - you can't assume someone is going to be any better or worse at personal life just because of what they do 9-5. for example, I might be pretty OK at taking a step back to consider a given situation (let's say some family drama) than I used to be, but that's not necessarily due to my vocation- that's in large part due to just being older and more mature than I was 10 years ago- plus having to practice emotional regulation fairly regularly at work (try not to react when a little kid literally bites you in the butt, or you're having a strong emotional reaction to a client's situation)-- but that's something we all have to get better at as we get further in our careers. Because of the necessity of practicing emotional regulation at work I'm probably less likely to fly off the handle when someone in my extended family makes some asinine remark, but that's not restricted to therapists. I imagine most doctors and med students have to practice biting their tongue and choosing their words carefully on a daily basis, no? :) On the other hand, I'm still pretty conflict avoidant in my personal life. Just because someone develops skills in work life doesn't mean they will always act that way at home. Occasionally I use up all of my emotional regulation at work and don't have much left when I get home and I'm a snappy, sometimes whiny little B-. Long way of making the point that you can't really make assumptions just because someone is a therapist (or a medical doctor, or carpenter, or whatever).

Maybe the further along one gets in a psych/therapy related career the LESS likely they are to arm-chair analyze all their relationships. It's tiring! My family members joke about my analyzing them when they do some ridiculous thing but I'm not really joking when I tell them I only do that if I'm getting paid. I think the one thing maybe being a therapist adds on that front is it's easier (for me at least) to think of about 20 other reasons someone might be acting they way they are in a given situation, so I realize the effort of extrapolating and hypothesizing and getting all worked up is probably a waste of time and energy. Just have a straightforward conversation instead.

3. Who the hell knows- how could you ever possibly define/quantify that?

4. I'm assuming you're in or have been through med school. You probably encountered a huge array of personalities , yes? Same is true for people who go into therapy as a vocation. Introverts, extroverts, type-A, super mellow...the qualities folks value in their partners probably vary as much as the general population.

5. Same things that irritate everyone else. I'm sure there are other people out there who also get irrationally irritated when their partner puts their cold bare feet on them in bed, uses the wrong toothbrush, hogs the remote, or moves their books and papers out of hte middle of the floor. See point number 1 - instead of guessing, just have a conversation about it :)