Would you do it!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maldini99

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have to get your feedback on an issue that has been on my mind for a while now.

Would you ever, after graduating with PharmD, go to medical school?

I know that a lot of you will say that it is too much school, but compared to a regular undergraduate, it is only 2 years longer. Plus you get to be way more competent and prepared than the average medical student. Some of the medical schools are not that expensive ( UNC, UMASS are around 10,000/y), so money could not be an issue either.

Have any of you even thought about it?

Members don't see this ad.

I go through phases. I know during my Clinical Tox elective I was totally stoked about the diagnostic portion of problem solving.

But it's another 4 years, plus residency, plus I'd have to touch people (ewwwww.)

Overall I think it's a disservice to the profession of pharmacy to take up a spot in competitive program for 4 years just to "diss" it by deciding to do something else. I've seen lots of phenomenal, influential pharmacists and I'm not even done by 3rd year yet. Pharmacy is in a great place and if you're good at what you do you have the opportunity to make your practice whatever you would like it tobe. And that's awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
If med school is your goal I would recommend it if you started pharmacy school right after high school. I would work after the PharmD for like two years to pay off debts and to become functional pharmacist and then go to med school. I think a pharmacists training would greatly benefit anyone's medical career. I'm a little bit older and don't like school so I would not do it! At my pharmacy school I am rehashing stuff I covered when I got my BS and so I get bored. I feel that if I went to medical school I would feel the same way. It would also take forever to finish and after 30 years old your neurons start degrading.

This is a rare event but not unheard of. You can also broaden this topic to include grad school or almost any other advanced degree program. Here's a few hints for mulling this choice over.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I did something similar. I got a PharmD, then went to grad school for a PhD. Most of the below points are based on things I learned as I went through the process.

1) If you have a driving passion to practice medicine then you might want to look into med school. If you have a job you are passionate about then you're going to be happier overall. But make sure you really have a driving passion (spend at least a summer doing some serious volunteer work and get a lot of shadowing experience) otherwise you may find out that med school isn't as great as you thought.

2) There are lots of ways to get patient interaction and do clinical practice with a PharmD. They aren't as obvious as becoming an MD, but look into them. Pharmacy residencies are worth exploring if you want to get clinical.

2.5) I consider this a corollary of point 2. There are lots of ways to get involved in research (both clinical and basic science) without going to grad school.

3) Don't go to med school (or grad school or insert next degree program here) because you are disenchanted with the career choices offered in pharmacy school. The PharmD degree is way more versatile than just hospital and retail.

3.5) Corollary of point 3. If you loathe pharmacy and medicine and would rather be studying something else totally unrelated (history, computer science, whatever) you have two options. First, finish pharmacy school and pay your way though your next degree with what you can earn working part time as a pharmacist. Second, drop out of pharmacy school and do what you really want to do.

4) Unless you are immortal and rich, the excessive schooling (and associated living like a student) is going to get tiring. Eventually you will desire to begin a life and a career. When this happens, the thought of doing residencies and fellowships on top of the four years you added on for med school is going to make you sick to your stomach.

Hi

I have to get your feedback on an issue that has been on my mind for a while now.

Would you ever, after graduating with PharmD, go to medical school?

I know that a lot of you will say that it is too much school, but compared to a regular undergraduate, it is only 2 years longer. Plus you get to be way more competent and prepared than the average medical student. Some of the medical schools are not that expensive ( UNC, UMASS are around 10,000/y), so money could not be an issue either.

Have any of you even thought about it?

Why would you care if I would do it or not. What matters is "would you do it?"

It's your life.. go do it if you want.

Just an FYI...A girl I know got an interview to a pharmacy school, and when they asked her what she was planning to do after graduation from pharmacy, she said she was thinking about going to med school. Needless to say, she did not get accepted, specifically due to that comment. So if you are pre-pharmacy be careful discussing that kind of plan. Someone said it earlier, these schools want to educate dedicated pharmacists not kids searching for themselves.

I have a classmate who's been accepted to DO school and he's starting in the fall (we graduate in May). He knew when he started that he wanted to go on to become a Dr and for him it was really only 2 years longer (he got an AA before starting pharmacy school). I don't think it's a path everyone goes down but it's not unheard of. I wouldn't do it because I don't want to be a physician but I do plan on doing a PGY-1 and PGY-2 residency because that's what I need to pursue my goals. I think that whatever you have to do to pursue your dreams will be worth it.

I planned on going to med school before I started pharm school (of course, I did not tell the admins that!!) Funny thing is that many of my professors and even an Associate dean asked me if I ever thought about med school or either told me to go.

I just really want both. I like school and work on the side to make enough.
I asked the med school I want to go to before I started pharm school if it was okay and they told me they did not really care. THey just want my MCAT score!

Plus, I have worked for a living for 4-5 years so I have perspective.

I just do not get burned out like most. I took my competitive nature in athletics and turned it over to academics with myself. I am not a gunner that tries to beat everyone. I just try to do the best I can.

Of course doing this means substantial financial implications and lost time with fam, friends, but I really find all of it fun and like a hobby (sad I know) after working for "real'. I just hope I get the chance to go to med school too.

I call it my "Ultimate Master Plan". The MD, PharmD. Did I mention I already have a MBA with a management focus!!

The saga continues...

I planned on going to med school before I started pharm school (of course, I did not tell the admins that!!) Funny thing is that many of my professors and even an Associate dean asked me if I ever thought about med school or either told me to go.

I just really want both. I like school and work on the side to make enough.
I asked the med school I want to go to before I started pharm school if it was okay and they told me they did not really care. THey just want my MCAT score!

Plus, I have worked for a living for 4-5 years so I have perspective.

I just do not get burned out like most. I took my competitive nature in athletics and turned it over to academics with myself. I am not a gunner that tries to beat everyone. I just try to do the best I can.

Of course doing this means substantial financial implications and lost time with fam, friends, but I really find all of it fun and like a hobby (sad I know) after working for "real'. I just hope I get the chance to go to med school too.

I call it my "Ultimate Master Plan". The MD, PharmD. Did I mention I already have a MBA with a management focus!!

The saga continues...

The ultimate master plan...sounds pretty evil. Yesterday, the MBA. Today, the Pharm. D. Tomorrow, the MD. And the day after that, the world!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

:laugh::laugh:Not trying to make fun of you but thought that the "Ultimate Master Plan" was awesome. Reminds me of this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=5mZAtpFXmQE

By the way, this link is PG13.

The ultimate master plan...sounds pretty evil. Yesterday, the MBA. Today, the Pharm. D. Tomorrow, the MD. And the day after that, the world!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

:laugh::laugh:Not trying to make fun of you but thought that the "Ultimate Master Plan" was awesome. Reminds me of this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=5mZAtpFXmQE

By the way, this link is PG13.

No, worries!! :)

I laugh at myself. I love learning and always wanted the chance to do all of it. I have finally set it all up where I can possibly.

Your world is what you make of it! The only limitations you have are the ones others place on you.

Do you!!

I make fun of my friends who want all those degrees. Just think, can you fit all those degrees on a business card especially if you specialize.

J Dub MBA MD PharmD (Leave space for BCPS etc.)

Just think, can you fit all those degrees on a business card especially if you specialize.

Yes, if started at the far left margin and done in 8 pt font. :p

I have a classmate who's been accepted to DO school and he's starting in the fall (we graduate in May). He knew when he started that he wanted to go on to become a Dr and for him it was really only 2 years longer (he got an AA before starting pharmacy school).

Of course this is the guy who thinks a chicken can beat up a duck in a fair fight when we've seen the video evidence that it just isn't true.

I make fun of my friends who want all those degrees. Just think, can you fit all those degrees on a business card especially if you specialize.

I would just use the MD, PharmD.

The bigger problem will be putting all of it on a coat!! :D

I collect degrees. Some people collect stamps, etc.

Don't worry I get enough crap from my friends and others. So, I am aware it is not for everyone.

But, I do it for me. Not them....