Would You Do It?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Contract to Volunteer After Graduating

• I will be less likely to apply to a school that has this requirement.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • I will commit 1 day a month.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • I will commit more than 1 day a month.

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • I'd prefer to sign up for certain days whenever I feel like volunteering.

Votes: 11 44.0%

• Total voters

winnie bear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a dental school (your top choice of schools) required you to sign a contractual agreement as part of being accepted into the program to commit a certain number of hours per month (say, 1 day a month) to volunteer at various nonprofit clinics(*) after graduating and becoming licensed, how would you feel about it?

1. Would this requirement deter you from applying to that school?
2. Would you be for or against it?
3. If you're for it, how many hours a month is reasonable?
4. If you're against it, what are some of the factors that would influence your decision?

Thanks in advance for your participation!
YOU CAN ALSO SELECT ONE OF THE CHOICES FROM THE POLL ABOVE (or both) INSTEAD OF THESE OPEN ENDED QUESTIONS.

(*) Should you move out of the area, you have the option of fulfilling your hours at any of the nonprofit clinics within reasonable distance from your new residence.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Chances are no.

there are way too many issues involved.

What is the total length you're required?

What's the penalty if you don't hold up your end? Are they going to retroactively revoke your degree or make you pay a fine?

Do you get a stipend? Or something to offset travel and lodging cost. Not everyone sticks around the area after graduating.

Other than being admitted what incentive do you get by agreeing to essentially free labor after you've already paid them to be free labor.

A school is gotta offer students some incentive to go to their school and agree to this. Do you get cheaper tuition. some may not care if it is the only offer they get, but if you get a multiple offers cost of attendance may be factor in your decision.

Chances are no.

there are way too many issues involved.

What is the total length you're required?

What's the penalty if you don't hold up your end? Are they going to retroactively revoke your degree or make you pay a fine?

Do you get a stipend? Or something to offset travel and lodging cost. Not everyone sticks around the area after graduating.

Other than being admitted what incentive do you get by agreeing to essentially free labor after you've already paid them to be free labor.

A school is gotta offer students some incentive to go to their school and agree to this. Do you get cheaper tuition. some may not care if it is the only offer they get, but if you get a multiple offers cost of attendance may be factor in your decision.

Thank you for your response! I don't think I worded this as clearly as I intended. I will respond to your Q's via PM to avoid influencing other people's candid feedback.

Depends on how long. We talking a year? The rest of your life? You need to specify that.

IF it was a short period of time after graduation (year or less), AND it was my absolute TOP school (like you said), AND it was really straight forward work that wouldn't interfere with starting a practice or working at a job...Yes, I would sign it.

If I didn't make it into my top choice and it was a toss up between two second choices, with perfectly equal appeal to me, it would cause me not to go to the school with said contract.