Would you feel safe with a PA as your PCP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you personally use a PA as your PCP?

• Yes

Votes: 40 20.6%
  • No I'd want a MD or DO

Votes: 124 63.9%
  • No I'd want an MD only

Votes: 30 15.5%

• Total voters
You can correct this real easily. When patients say, "YEah I see doctor so and so" I immediately say, "They're not a physician, they're an NP" or "Theyre a physician assistant, not an MD." They look at me puzzled and are like, "Oh wow I never knew that." Yeah it happens from time to time, you just have to enlighten them.

Why is that important? There have been several law suits related to non-physicians misrepresenting themselves in health care settings. This is why many hospitals have distinct ID badges with "RN" and "MD" or "PHYSICIAN" or "PA" or "NP" etc. Also why it is illegal in some states for non-physicians to call themselves "doctor" so-and-so in health care settings. As a 4th year med student, people very very frequently call me "doctor" so and so, and I say just call me cbrons, I'm not a doctor. Any NP (including DNP) or secretarial staff who calls non-physicians "Doctor" so and so in the hospital or clinic is misrepresenting themselves as a physician, and exposing the hospital/health care company/supervising physician/all of the above to liability.

You think a malpractice lawyer could not VERY easily show that a person passed themselves off as a physician or failed to correct previously established misrepresentations? It has happened several times and will continue to happen.

I do think the white coat thing throws people off. I used to immediately think of people in a clinic/hospital as a doctor. I do wonder why NPs and PAs wear the white coat, when it confuses a lot of people.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I do think the white coat thing throws people off. I used to immediately think of people in a clinic/hospital as a doctor. I do wonder why NPs and PAs wear the white coat, when it confuses a lot of people.
Well actually you will also see even NP students wearing long white coats. Of course this is dangerous, but it varies by hospital. Trust me, the first time there's actually a lawsuit even peripherally related to a patient not knowing exactly who was directing their care, this changes very, very quickly.

I have a toy Lamborghini but I don't go around telling people I have a Lambo.

You may dislike it all you want. It doesn't change that I have a license from a BOM to practice medicine.

End of the day on this side of the world fellas. Thanks for helping me make through another boring day in the middle of nowhere! Maybe again tomorrow if the Internet is still working. Have a good one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused. Could you specifically point out the statements of arrogance? I don't believe others received that impression. I only stated what I do based on fact. Never said I was better or worse than anyone. Just competent.

I also have a state medical license. It's a requirement for me to practice.

I apologize. I meant unrestricted license. I know it's all the same to you when you're playing doctor. FYI judging the competence of those who have more training and knowledge than you implies that you're even qualified to do such. It comes across as arrogant.

On another note, my biggest problem with NP's and PA's has nothing to do with the job. It's that inferiority complex that so many seem to mask by putting down their superiors. Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves but it makes the rest of them look terrible which is unfortunate.

I apologize. I meant unrestricted license. I know it's all the same to you when you're playing doctor. FYI judging the competence of those who have more training and knowledge than you implies that you're even qualified to do such. It comes across as arrogant.

On another note, my biggest problem with NP's and PA's has nothing to do with the job. It's that inferiority complex that so many seem to mask by putting down their superiors. Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves but it makes the rest of them look terrible which is unfortunate.

Normally I would agree that a there are some mid-level providers that do have an inferiority complex, but this guy didn't sound arrogant to me. He seemed like he understood and respected his limitations, and wasn't going to do something he didn't know/didn't feel comfortable with.

Normally I would agree that a there are some mid-level providers that do have an inferiority complex, but this guy didn't sound arrogant to me. He seemed like he understood and respected his limitations, and wasn't going to do something he didn't know/didn't feel comfortable with.

He said he was better than a physician at medicine... which to me is just weird. I only hear it from mid levels. Even if it were true? Why announce it? Who cares? If I'm better at something, I don't go around telling people because I'm not an a**hole. I guess all respect is just lost when your scrambling to salvage your ego. But you better respect his years of experience as a PA! .... Childish, basically.

He said he was better than a physician at medicine... which to me is just weird. I only hear it from mid levels. Even if it were true? Why announce it? Who cares? If I'm better at something, I don't go around telling people because I'm not an a**hole. I guess all respect is just lost when your scrambling to salvage your ego. But you better respect his years of experience as a PA! .... Childish, basically.

He did? I looked back in the thread and couldn't find it. I thought he just said he didn't think he was equivalent to a doctor.

I'm asking PURELY because I'm switching PCPs and have the option of either a PA who can see me in a week or a DO that I have to wait over a month to see.

I'm healthy now, but my concern is a PA might miss something subtle which might lead to late diagnosis of some illness I develop in the future.

THIS IS NOT MEANT TO STIR UP ANY MD VS DO VS PA DEBATE. Answer purely from your personal perspective. Would you personally trust a PA with your health?

Not to directly answer your question but I have a doctor I've trusted for years because she's made all the right decisions for me and when I told her I saw an optometrist and have such a high prescription, she acted as though it was common sense that I ought to see an ophthamologist and not an OD.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I will take a PA as my PCP, but not an NP.... It`s not like I`m not going to judge what they do and recommend anyway.

I agree. That guy up there nonewithstanding, I find that most pas are very competent and know their limitations.

At the county hospital I worked at you could easily tell who was a physician and who was not. Everyone from student to physician wore coats and/or badges of differing colors with a arm patch. Attendings wore long grey coats with a patch saying "Attending Physician" on it. Residents wore long white coats with a patch saying "House Staff", plus their badges were blue instead of white. The PAs wore long sky blue coats with a patch. Even the pharmacists and dietitians wore long navy blue coats with their departmental patch on it. Medical students wore their short white coats with their school's arm patch and their badges were green. However, they seemed to have somewhat neglected the NPs as they wore white coats without a patch but they did have an extra badge like everyone else indicating their title. Go figure...

At the county hospital I worked at you could easily tell who was a physician and who was not. Everyone from student to physician wore coats and/or badges of differing colors with a arm patch. Attendings wore long grey coats with a patch saying "Attending Physician" on it. Residents wore long white coats with a patch saying "House Staff", plus their badges were blue instead of white. The PAs wore long sky blue coats with a patch. Even the pharmacists and dietitians wore long navy blue coats with their departmental patch on it. Medical students wore their short white coats with their school's arm patch and their badges were green. However, they seemed to have somewhat neglected the NPs as they wore white coats without a patch but they did have an extra badge like everyone else indicating their title. Go figure...

Right but I think it confuses someone when they see everyone in white coats. If I see a person in a white coat that says "House Staff" I'm not immediately going to think they're a doctor. Idk, I think it would be easier if physicians/med students wore white coats only.

They need to make it so NPs have a giant badge that says Nurse Practitioner. Then one that says, Attending MD or Resident MD. Some hospitals make it extremely obvious who is who because of lawsuits which have included among other issues the problem of people not knowing who is who.

Also the term, "Provider" is a legally dangerous word that falsely equivocates physicians with non-physicians.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile