Would you have taken a LOA for Step 1 in hindsight?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leave of absence for Step 1?

• Yes

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yohimbine1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS2 and I don't feel ready for Step 1. I am considering a LOA to prep even if it sets me back a year. I am not worried about failing it but I am worried about getting a subpar score that will haunt me when it comes to residencies--and to some extent haunt me forever.

How many of you would have taken a LOA for Step 1 prep in hindsight, I am wondering? Be honest please, as the poll's anonymous. And this inquiry is clearly geared toward certain people

Members don't see this ad.

Are you talking about taking an entire year off to study for step I? If not, what else will you be doing in your year off? It may look worse if you have a year gap in your training if it doesn't have some publications, or a letter from a research mentor, or other significant activity to account for it, even if it results in you getting 10-15 points higher on step I. How much time do you have to study for step I right now?

Are you talking about taking an entire year off to study for step I? If not, what else will you be doing in your year off? It may look worse if you have a year gap in your training if it doesn't have some publications, or a letter from a research mentor, or other significant activity to account for it, even if it results in you getting 10-15 points higher on step I. How much time do you have to study for step I right now?
No, just a few months. Possibly by the end of summer even. But all we get at my school is the month of May entirely off. During April we have a fair number of obligations that somewhat preclude intense studying. I don't know what I would do with the rest of the year, but a lackluster Step 1 score is more of a concern for me than that. Don't half of people who take LOAs cite "personal reasons" anyway?

I was really hoping to get the advice of some people further along though, as they have a little more perspective.

Judging by my own experience and those of my classmates, you probably won't ever feel quite ready. Most people I know who postponed taking Step 1 ended up regretting it, and felt like the extra study time probably didn't make that much difference in their score.

If you're a US med student, I think one month off to study is plenty, IMHO.

How many of you would have taken a LOA for Step 1 prep in hindsight, I am wondering? Be honest please, as the poll's anonymous. And this inquiry is clearly geared toward certain people

Look, you asked the same question in the Allo forum, and got pretty much the same answers you've gotten here. This is a stupid idea.

Don't be so negative. But I guess your user name and caption indicate otherwise. Hippiedoc thanks for the input.

Duplicate thread to one in USMLE Step I so post your answers there as this one is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.