Would you mind comment on my essays?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hnbui

Addicted to Yale Med
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to undergrad school and would like to read some reviews on my essays.

1. require essay optional topic:

It was a Sunday afternoon. I was sitting on the sofa in the living room, relaxing and watching ?The Crocodile Hunter? on Animal Planet. My mother, in the kitchen, poked her head into the hallway and asked me, in Vietnamese, ?Huy, would you like a snack??

I felt hungry, so I answered with a jovial, ?Sure.? After a few minutes, my hunger grew. I began to imagine the bag of chips or popcorn that I was about to receive. My daydream ended abruptly as my attention turned toward my mother and the snack that she was bringing out. Not until the snack was in arm?s reach did I realize what my mother?s treat for me was. To my dismay, it was boiled beets - beets in all their glory of red and purple juices, which oozed out from the flesh.

That was many years ago. Nevertheless, the differences between my mother and me still remain. I like to listen to techno, while my mother is passionate about Vietnamese oldies, and considers techno to be a serious health risk. My mother dislikes pizza, while I worship the oven it is cooked in. The list of examples showing how my mother and I disagree on matters of cultural preference can go on and on.

Still, in spite of our differences, her remarkable personal traits help me to connect with my mother. Take her eccentricity, for example. My mother owns a tailor shop with a garden in front, and, to maintain the appearance that the plants bloom all year round, she occasionally puts in fake flowers. It is truly funny when customers remark about how gorgeous the flowers look, even if they happen to be in my mother?s shop during the midst of winter. She has a great time explaining to the customers that the flowers are not real. Then, she gleefully observes the confounded looks on their faces as they handle these unreal flowers with disbelief. I really enjoy this kind of unexpected mischief on the part of my mother.

Then, there is her cleverness. From my mother, I have learned how to create a whole new meal from yesterday?s leftovers. It turns out that one can make a stir-fry from all kinds of leftover foods. Ingredients may range from green beans to rice to various meats. I will be sure to make good use of this knowledge when I am in college.

Although red beets, fake flowers, and leftovers might make a teenager feel that his mother is a bit strange, these examples bring out distinctive personality traits that, in my eyes, make her a fascinating person. Perhaps, the story about red beets is a perfect metaphor about my relationship with my mother. Although I felt uneasy about eating the beets at first, I ended up accepting them anyway. In a similar way, I have learned to cope with - and even to respect - my mother?s unique preferences and tastes.

--------------------------------------------------------

Supplementary essay:

I never fully believed that every cloud could have a silver lining until three men broke into and robbed my house. The robbery seemed like more than a cloud at the time; it seemed like the most horrible experience anyone could have, as if a storm had come and washed us all out. As time has passed, I have begun to see the good that came with the storm and realized that if there can be a silver lining in a storm cloud, there can be a silver lining in any cloud. With the robbery experience, I gained a new optimism that I will be able to keep with me forever.

I always had been close with my family, but I preferred to spend free time with my friends. I knew I could count on my family and that they would always be there. I never thought twice about that until the day of the robbery.

Coming home from school , my mom told me about what happened. I became infuriated. I was scared, shocked, and unsure of how to react. I had never imagined that something so horrible could happen to my mom or to someone so close to me. Two men had been lurking in the shadows of the hallway, ready to pounce, when my mom entered. They attacked her, covered her mouth, and took the telephone. They tied her hands up with the telephone line then dragged her into her bedroom while kicking her in the stomach and screaming demands and profanities. As my mom told me the story, it almost seemed unreal. My mother plead, to them not to kill her, ?Don?t kill me. I still have three children to raise,? she said. After showing them all the money and jewelry, they threatened my mother and hit her in the back of the head, causing her to pass out.

The story seemed like one from TV. It seemed like something that might happen to other people but not to my family. Though my mom had been the one to experience the complete event, I felt as if I had been there too in many ways?vulnerable and violated.

Although I will never forgive fully the men who assaulted my mother and robbed my family, the robbery has served to bring me closer than ever to my mother and to make me cherish her more. I have come to realize that an individual?s time on earth is limited and to think about it more consciously. Since the incident, I have found myself staying by my mother?s side, cherishing her fake flowers and her warm laughs more than ever. I have found the silver lining to the darkest cloud I have seen.

-----------------------------------------------------

can you comment on whether you like the essays. Do you think the adcom will like it?

BTW i'm applying to NYU, UMich, Harvard, and Boston University.

Members don't see this ad.

I enjoyed reading your essays. Good luck in the app process!!
ps...do you have your sights set on med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes. I want to dual major one in biology and one in music with specialization in vocal or german.

thanks for the comment

anyone else?

or i might just focus on premed. Don't really know yet.... which is better?

Do whatever you think you will enjoy the most. For the premed part of it you will take most of the required classes as part of your bio major. Plus the music major will help make you stand out from the crowd when applying to med school

thank you.

would you mind also commenting on my essays?

anyone else? I know that my essays are tedious and boring, but any comments would be helpful.

i liked both of them - i think the admissions committees will too. sounds like you put a lot of thought into both. the only constructive thing i can think of to tell you is that maybe there might be some way, in the required essay topic, to mention the main idea earlier on in the essay. try, somehow, to let the reader know what it's about a little sooner. i wasn't quite sure exactly what you were getting at until the conclusion or close to it. maybe this is what you wanted to do though. just a suggestion.

also, doubling in music will be really time consuming. i started out as a music major (cello/composition) and that was all i did. practice, theory, practice, etc. i was in a five year program, planning on doubling in maybe bio or math, but it seemed like it was going to be a stretch. academics as well as music are both real rigorous at my school though. the schools you are applying to seem like they might be a little less intense on the music side (except for michigan!), which would be perfect for you. i had fun with it! good luck.

thank you for your reply. What NYU school are you currently attending?

haha. good guess with the location: IL/NY.

NU '04 is kind of vague. It's actually Northwestern University. But, I'm from NY originally.

oopss i'm sorry man. I thought it was NYU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your essays are really good...my question is by writing these essays what do you want the adcoms to get out of them.

During the writing process of my essay I tended to focus on other people. I could write anything about anyone, but when it came time to talk about ME and who I was and my life aspirations...I found it VERY hard. While the topic of your essay shows that you are culturally well rounded I beg the question....How is that going to make you a GOOD doctor. Unfortunately, personal statements, are opportunities to set YOUrself out from the crowd, not your family. I think you should take your whole essay and condense it down to ONE paragraph and then continue from there. You described who you are now talk about how your uniqueness will fit into medicine. All in all, you are selling yourself to the adcoms, but that is the way it is.

I sent you a link to Private Messages which will let you read mine if you want. Good Luck!!!:)

Heb

i think the essays are very well written, but i have three general criticisms:
1) they only vaguely tell us something vital about YOU -- especially #1 -- think about what you want the admissions person to get out of reading it: "han bui is smart" "han bui has unusual life experiences and is thoughtful about them" "han bui shows initiative when it comes to learning" and work towards making the essay prove your point about yourself
2) as a set of essays, there is too much about your mother. you should talk about how much you respect and admire her if that is a way to illustrate your most interesting qualities, but too much will make you sound like you're younger than you are and like you don't participate in a wider world outside your family.
3) these essays don't ephasize any achievements/accoplishments/academic interests. that is ok for one essay--your personal qualities matter a lot too. but in general, you should be trying to package yourself as a learner who will benefit greatly from educational experiences. that means at least mentioning educational experiences (either conventional, like taking a challenging class, or less obvious ones like travel or reading or conversations with someone who challenges your intellectual worldview). essay #2 almost does this--but not quite, because there is not quite enough evidence of your thinking/analyzing/understanding the experience.

i hope these coments aren't too harsh. i realize i was pretty critical. i hope you find my comments useful though--they are intended as help!

by the way, i think it is excellent that you want to be a doctor and admirable that you are focused on that already, but i would urge you to really try out a lot of stuff in college. plan your premed classes sensibly, then spend your time exploring non-medical careers and ideas too.

good luck.

I liked your essays. I would consider it a sign of maturity that you seem to have such respect and love for your mother - considering that many people your age (I'm guessing you're 18, right?) just complain about their parents all the time.
I have to agree that TOGETHER they may seem like they focus too much on your mother, though. You may want to find a way to combine them into one essay and use another topic for the other essay. Good luck.

These are both excellent essays that kept my attention. In the second one though, you might want to add a little more about how this event influenced you. I can't imagine that any adcom would read these and not want to meet you. My opinion is that the quality of your writing skills and ability to communicate is more important than the content (within reason, of course).
I would also advise you to pursue your interests in college and not focus too much on what med school adcoms want. It's your life, not theirs. And who knows, maybe you'll find something you would rather do? If nothing else, when interviewers look at your transcripts and ask about your choices of classes you'll have a great opportunity to let them know who you are as an individual.
Good luck!

Thank you for all your comments. Some harsh and some nice. :)

Some info about me.....
I am 16 and a senior at High School. I am sending these essays in for undergrad school, not medical school.

i liked them also, but i do agree with some of the above posts that the essays only describe the respect and admiration you have for others, but they are really lacking your accomplishments/acheivements, which i think is very important for an ad committee to know, so you should work in more about yourself. along with that thought, while the essays are a good combination of entertaining and moving, i think the fact that BOTH essays are about your mother is not a good thing. maybe just one would be better. one about your mother and one about you, but not just BOTH about what you think of your mother. because while a reader may at first be enjoying the essays, by the time they get to the second one and realize that it's also about your mother, they may roll their eyes, which you DON't want them to do. if these were essays in a random book about mom's and sons, i'd say they're perfect. but since these are essays for undergraduate ADMISSIONS, they have to reflect who YOU are, and what your POTENTIAL is as an undergraduate.... hope this helps!

thank you for your comments. The application contains section where you write about your honors and activities/ec's. I have also submitted small essays for these section. I just really thought that if i had written another essay about my honors/ec's then it would be redundent.

Also the theme of essay 1 is to show how much i love and respect my mother.

the theme of essay 2 is to show how i have realised that there is a silver lining in every cloud. Yes, my mother was used as an example, but i do not know any more significant epiphany-like situations that i could write about to prove my point that every event has a silver lining in it.

again i thank everyone for their comments.

Originally posted by priscy921
i liked them also, but i do agree with some of the above posts that the essays only describe the respect and admiration you have for others, but they are really lacking your accomplishments/acheivements, which i think is very important for an ad committee to know, so you should work in more about yourself. along with that thought, while the essays are a good combination of entertaining and moving, i think the fact that BOTH essays are about your mother is not a good thing. maybe just one would be better. one about your mother and one about you, but not just BOTH about what you think of your mother. because while a reader may at first be enjoying the essays, by the time they get to the second one and realize that it's also about your mother, they may roll their eyes, which you DON't want them to do. if these were essays in a random book about mom's and sons, i'd say they're perfect. but since these are essays for undergraduate ADMISSIONS, they have to reflect who YOU are, and what your POTENTIAL is as an undergraduate.... hope this helps!

I agree with this post, I think you should take this advise seriously. You don't have to talk about ECs to talk more about yourself as opposed to talking about your mother. My 2c

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I agree with everyone else, in that you talk about your mother too much. This would be a good focus for one essay, but the colleges are evaluating you, not your mother. I think the content is great though, and you could combine these into one essay, and try to use another example for the second essay. Only being 16, you will seem young to these schools, so maturity may come into question since they're never met you. Reading 2 essays about how much you love your Mom might serve to reinforce this, perhaps making it seem as though the only interesting things you have to discuss are about your Mom (and I'm sure this is not the case). Overall, the writing is very good and kept my attention, but this is just my 2 cents. Good luck with everything.