Would you move for a volunteer research opportunity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orbit95

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN

I'm gonna get right down to it. I have a family (two kids, one on the way) and I've found a really great opportunity. I'm currently finishing my BS in Psychology at a Teaching College and the only research experience (if it can even be called that..) is a Research Methods class, where I typed up the proposal, ran participants, ran the stats, and I'm now presenting a Poster or doing an Oral Presentation in the next few months. My CGPA will be 3.3 when I graduate and my Psych will be 3.9+. The dilemma for my situation is my lack of substantial research experience and the lack of opportunities at my current University. I've talked to the coordinator for a nearby Human Factors PhD program at a research university (90 miles away) who said I could volunteer in one of the labs after I finish my Bachelors (hooray!). He's been super helpful and the opportunity sounds very encouraging. One of the labs just got a huge 10 year grant to continue research. My goal is to work my way up in the lab, make significant contributions, and apply to the PhD program at the same University.

As of now, it's a "volunteer" opportunity (6-9 hours a week), and I have to also take 10-12 credits to get a certificate just to officially work in the lab (which will cost $3800 out of pocket). I'm saving up money this year to pay for those credits, I can't use student loans since I won't be pursuing a degree. My fear is that I'm investing money, time, and moving my family for something that might happen. I know this sub is full of tons of wonderful people with unique backgrounds, so I'd love to hear some feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SDN

I'm gonna get right down to it. I have a family (two kids, one on the way) and I've found a really great opportunity. I'm currently finishing my BS in Psychology at a Teaching College and the only research experience (if it can even be called that..) is a Research Methods class, where I typed up the proposal, ran participants, ran the stats, and I'm now presenting a Poster or doing an Oral Presentation in the next few months. My CGPA will be 3.3 when I graduate and my Psych will be 3.9+. The dilemma for my situation is my lack of substantial research experience and the lack of opportunities at my current University. I've talked to the coordinator for a nearby Human Factors PhD program at a research university (90 miles away) who said I could volunteer in one of the labs after I finish my Bachelors (hooray!). He's been super helpful and the opportunity sounds very encouraging. One of the labs just got a huge 10 year grant to continue research. My goal is to work my way up in the lab, make significant contributions, and apply to the PhD program at the same University.

As of now, it's a "volunteer" opportunity (6-9 hours a week), and I have to also take 10-12 credits to get a certificate just to officially work in the lab (which will cost $3800 out of pocket). I'm saving up money this year to pay for those credits, I can't use student loans since I won't be pursuing a degree. My fear is that I'm investing money, time, and moving my family for something that might happen. I know this sub is full of tons of wonderful people with unique backgrounds, so I'd love to hear some feedback.
I do not have a suggestion either way on whether or not to accept this volunteer position, but $3800 is a lot of money to put down. Make sure it counts. Will you be doing duties more substantive than data entry (e.g., literature reviews, data analyses)? Will this lab offer you opportunities to present at conferences or publish?

Apply for paid positions in the meantime. They are competitive, but getting paid beats paying.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using SDN mobile

I do not have a suggestion either way on whether or not to accept this volunteer position, but $3800 is a lot of money to put down. Make sure it counts. Will you be doing duties more substantive than data entry (e.g., literature reviews, data analyses)? Will this lab offer you opportunities to present at conferences or publish?

Apply for paid positions in the meantime. They are competitive, but getting paid beats paying.
Are these questions I should ask the program coordinator? I'm not sure how to go about finding out this information..

Members don't see this ad :)
I should add, the certificate concludes with a 3 credit Special Investigations course where the student is engaged in a research project in one of the Human Factors laboratories.

It's a difficult to make. As a parent myself and one who would have to also move my whole family, I would not personally do that for a volunteer opportunity. We would have to sell our house and then my spouse would have to find a new job, all for something that *might* come to fruition. Plus, if you then have to move again for grad school, do you want to do that? If so, I would discuss everything with your partner and decide together.

Are these questions I should ask the program coordinator? I'm not sure how to go about finding out this information..
Yes. You should absolutely ask what the opportunity would entail. If it doesn't end with some tangible benefit (e.g., presentations, publications) it's probably not worth it in my opinion, considering the amount you'd have to put down for that certificate situation.

ETA: Also considerable factors include whether you would have to relocate and how expensive/onerous that would be given your current situation/family needs. Moving is expensive, and you will have to do it again if you go to grad school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
ETA: Also considerable factors include whether you would have to relocate and how expensive/onerous that would be given your current situation/family needs. Moving is expensive, and you will have to do it again if you go to grad school.

The grad program I'm interested in is the same Institution where i'll be volunteering, so I'm not so worried about relocation for grad school.

The grad program I'm interested in is the same Institution where i'll be volunteering, so I'm not so worried about relocation for grad school.

That is no guaranteed thing. What's the acceptance rate for that grad school? Most are 2-10%, aside from diploma mills.

Reactions: 1 users
Depending on how competitive this program is and how willing you are to reapply if you get a rejection, you might want to plan for moving. The size of doctoral class cohorts can be in the single digits.

To answer your previous question, yes, absolutely ask the program director. It's fair to ask if this relationship will be a mutually beneficial one, especially since you're paying.

Right, but the problem is that clinical psych doctoral programs are exceedingly difficult to get into. Admission rates generally range from 2% to 10% and most people apply to many programs, typically 10-12.

This is not to comment about your particular admission chances, but rather just to mention normative experiences. It is possible that you would be able to get into this particular grad school, but the stats indicate that it isn't likely for most people to get into any one specific program, hence the numerous applications. Thus, in all likelihood, you will have to relocate for grad school, regardless of whether you take this volunteer opportunity or not.

Thank you psych.meout, Temperance, and WisNeuro for the feedback. The acceptance rate for this particular program is 20% based on data from 3 years ago. I'm thinking since i'll be working close with faculty already they may want students whom they're already familiar with and those who already know the ins and outs of the lab. I may be wrong in my assumption though.

Psych.meout, the program I'm interested in is a Human Factors program.

Admissions data from last year

ADMISSIONS

Number of students applying to the human factors/ergonomics program last year

Number of students accepted into the program last year

Number of students entering the program last year

Anticipated number of openings per year for the next two years

4–6

I know many more people that were not accepted into grad programs that they were volunteer or even paid RAs for, than I know people who have gotten into those programs after such experiences. It's not impossible, but I wouldn't assume it will happen by any means.

It's probably in my best interest to not rely solely on one program. I'll have to apply to multiple programs. Lucky for me, my partner is understanding of my situation and supports me through it.

Definitely look around for programs. Make sure it's high quality. APA accredited is a bare minimum. APA-Accredited match statistics should be >80% at a minimum as well. What's your expected debt load? What's the attrition rate? Licensure rate? Etc, etc...

This thread helps out a little, even if it is getting a little dated now.

*DOCTORAL APPLICANTS READ FIRST* Helpful Threads

Definitely look around for programs. Make sure it's high quality. APA accredited is a bare minimum. APA-Accredited match statistics should be >80% at a minimum as well. What's your expected debt load? What's the attrition rate? Licensure rate? Etc, etc...

Thank you! I’ll look into it. Do you have any advice as far as making impressions in the lab once I arrive?

Thank you! I’ll look into it. Do you have any advice as far as making impressions in the lab once I arrive?

Go above and beyond. Many students think that simply by showing up, they'll get a good letter. Wrong, if you just show up, you'll get an adequate letter of rec. If you want a great letter of rec, be indispensable. Volunteer for tough tasks, show initiative. Those are the students who get asked to be on posters and pubs sometimes.

Reactions: 1 users
APA accreditation applies to programs in clinical, counseling, and school psychology, not so much for human factors.

This program is accredited by the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES).