Would you practice in Washington state/ Oregon/ Virginia or Vermont?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boooberry

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! If you were a periodontist which of these states would be best to practice in?

Members don't see this ad.

Alaska. You make a killing up there.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As a periodontist?

Absolutely. I believe Anchorage has a shortage. Go to a smaller town like Fairbanks in the interior (about 80,000 people) and you make way more. Even as a GP.

Reactions: 1 user
Washington. West coast (best coast) and no state income tax.

Oregon obviously coming in second with the no state sales tax.

Best option; work in Washington, live on the border, and travel into Oregon for all of your shopping, lol

Reactions: 1 users
Absolutely. I believe Anchorage has a shortage. Go to a smaller town like Fairbanks in the interior (about 80,000 people) and you make way more. Even as a GP.
Fairbanks sucks. I'm from Anchorage, Alaska. Anchorage is fine. The weather in Fairbanks is a deal breaker. I know this because I attended the Univ of AK-Fairbanks (go Nanooks lol) for 2 yrs (scholarship). After 2 yrs of ****ty weather, lousy food, no decent looking women ..... I transferred to Arizona State.

Alaska may pay more, but the cost of living is ridiculous.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
What are you looking for in a practice?

The opportunities in Vermont are endless.

Let me know if you want any more info.

What about Vermont?

Take this not as someone who practces in VT, but someone who is a second home owner in a resort area in Southern VT.

If you feel like you want to live in a rural area, with a relatively small practice more than likely, than VT may be the place for you.

True, there are some more urban areas, such as Burlington, Rutland, and smaller "urban" areas such as Brattleboro, Bennington, Manchester and White River Junction, but other than that and maybe a few select college towns, most of VT is quite rural, and of a lower economic status.

Trying to start up in the "larger" areas of VT may be a challenge as the reality is the population denisity doesn't support tons of practices in many of the geographic areas of VT.

My wife (and orthodontist) and I as a GP, have on many occasions thought about moving to VT and getting practices going, and the reality is that I'd probably be at minimum in the Southern VT area that we love and own is be looking at 2 offices that are probably 25 miles apart and she'd be looking at 3 to maybe 4 offices all over Southern VT to pull off the income levels that we're accustomed to where we practice in CT where I am in 1 office and she has 2 offices.

VT is a great place to live, and there are many successful dental practices there, it just takes the right mentality and realization of what the opportunities in VT are and what that may mean to accomplish it. Add in to the fact that with the relatively small number of dentists practicing in VT, the opportunites through retirement acquisition of a practice just are numerically as great as in other states where there are more practiing dentists.

Lastly in VT, there seems to be a greater push than in many states for a state wide, healthcare for all type system, which if it ever gets fully implemented (and the total cost realization seems to have thwarted those grandiose plans for the time being) that is something to potentially consider the effects it could have on revenues for a practice in the not too distant future

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your replies. What about the quality of life? I am thinking of Seattle, but also heard that it's going downhill. Are there beautiful places to live in and around Seattle?
I can only work in these states as I am an international dentist. I love Boston but I can't get licensed there. I think Vermont it beautiful but it might be too small and lack diversity. What about Arlington, VA?

Thanks for your replies. What about the quality of life? I am thinking of Seattle, but also heard that it's going downhill. Are there beautiful places to live in and around Seattle?
I can only work in these states as I am an international dentist. I love Boston but I can't get licensed there. I think Vermont it beautiful but it might be too small and lack diversity. What about Arlington, VA?
Arlington is a pretty diverse area, you are pretty close to washington DC as well.

Seattle is very diverse, you can probably find anything you are looking for there but it is very expensive and very rainy. There are definitely beautiful places around the seattle area, whether suburbs like Bothell, Mountlake Terrace etc or you can go further away in WA like Yakima etc.

Arlington is a great place to live, but it’s expensive and the entire DMV area (DC, Maryland, Virginia) is quite saturated and competitive

Which great place to live is not saturated anymore…RIP to our generation 😭😭

Honestly it may take a bit of a shift in the concept of what a "great place to live" actually means to ones self......

There are tons of great places to live, even if one may think it doesn't have what one's initial impression of what makes a place great to live.

I have seen plenty of that up at my 2nd home in VT, where because of COVID a bunch of people (ranging from couples with school aged kids to empty nester, working couples to retirees) who had their priamry residences in either the NY or Boston metro areas, moved up to VT full time, to a much, much smaller, rural area with WAY less creature comfort ammenities (restaurants, stores, shopping, etc), and they quickly found out that all of the more urban and suburban areas ammenties they thought they needed for a place to be a "great place to live" they actually didn't.

The reality is, and I guess that one could say that you don't necessarily know this until you've had some life experience, is that what you may think you want verses what actually makes you happy when you're living it, can often be 2 vastly different things. So don't immediately write an area off just becuase it may not have everything that you think you want, and often only because one has never lived in an area that didn't have similar things before