Would You Rather?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Who you rather be operated on by a sleep deprived surgeon or a legally drunk surgeon?

• Sleep Deprived Surgeon (awake for 22 hours straight)

• Legally Drunk Surgeon (≈ 0.8 BAC)

Results are only viewable after voting.

New Man

M3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you rather be operated on by a surgeon who is sleep deprived (awake for 22 hours straight) or by a surgeon who is legally drunk (≈ 0.08 BAC)?

This question came into my mind after reading Why We Sleep by Dr. Matthew Walker. It’s a very interesting read for anyone remotely interested in sleep.

Excerpt from the book:
"The next time you see a doctor in a hospital, keep in mind the study we have previously discussed, showing that after twenty-two hours without sleep, human performance is impaired to the same level as that of someone who is legally drunk. Would you ever accept hospital treatment from a doctor who pulled out a hip flask of whiskey in front of you, took a few swigs, and proceeded with an attempt at medical care in a vague stupor?"

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Would you rather be operated on by a surgeon who is sleep deprived (awake for 22 hours straight) or by a surgeon who is legally drunk (≈ 0.8 BAC)?

This question came into my mind after reading Why We Sleep by Dr. Matthew Walker. It’s a very interesting read for anyone remotely interested in sleep.

Excerpt from the book:
"The next time you see a doctor in a hospital, keep in mind the study we have previously discussed, showing that after twenty-two hours without sleep, human performance is impaired to the same level as that of someone who is legally drunk. Would you ever accept hospital treatment from a doctor who pulled out a hip flask of whiskey in front of you, took a few swigs, and proceeded with an attempt at medical care in a vague stupor?"
FWIW, a 0.8 BAC surgeon is also probably dead, think you meant 0.08.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If the surgeon is a veteran in the field- I would choose 0.08 BAC (which is probably like two drinks). If the surgeon is someone fresh out of residency- sleep deprivation.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Both options are better than alternative medicine....

Reactions: 3 users

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
So basically a surgeon or a drunk surgeon

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
@ddek So the lead surgeon who has been awake for 22 hours is going to be operating on me from start to finish instead of giving it up to the first assist?

I have been drinking with many a surgeon and the answer is definitely the 22 hours. They get weird with alcohol...

Reactions: 4 users
If the drunk surgeon screws up I can sue, so...

Reactions: 1 users
I’d rather my sleep deprived surgeon took some performance enhancing drugs to get the job done. Caffeine, modafinil, adderall, whatever. It’s not a game where you want the best guy to win fair and square, it’s your spine or gallbladder. Get them go pills. No remedy for drunkenness so I’d pass on that.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve operated in sleep deprived state many times. No issues. It’s after the surgery that the lack of sleep affects you—during the surgery you’re running on adrenaline.

As for drinks, keep in mind, in the past surgeons would drink between cases to steady their hands. My father was a surgeon (not in the US) and said everyone did it all the time, in full view and it was accepted.

Reactions: 2 users
As for drinks, keep in mind, in the past surgeons would drink between cases to steady their hands. My father was a surgeon (not in the US) and said everyone did it all the time, in full view and it was accepted.

I had no idea that you’re half Russian!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I’ve operated in sleep deprived state many times. No issues. It’s after the surgery that the lack of sleep affects you—during the surgery you’re running on adrenaline.

Fascinating o_O