would you rather...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manfood.com

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
go to a DO school, or to a MD school in the caribbean? Just curious as to what people think, or what tehy would do if these were your last two options. thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

MD..i have nothin against the DO philospohy..but i like the MD one better...i have respect for both...but just my preference

Members don't see this ad :)
For some people, DO is the first option.

Just a warning: I will close this thread if it becomes a MD v. DO thread.

definitely D.O.!!!

D.O.

The "walls" have really been coming down for DO's in the past couple decades. They still have a harder time matching into ultra-competative MD residencies, but other than that the playing field is essentially level. You'll have an easier time getting licensed as a DO and you'll have a better shot at competative residencies than a carribian MD (b/c you can apply for osteo PGE slots).

most definitely DO, though the warm caribbean weather sure is sounds nice :)

I'm trying to find the website that compared the two but I remember seeing that your odds of landing a U.S. residency are better going to a D.O. school than to a carribean med school...not that if you work hard you can't get a residency coming from a carribean school...

Thanks a lot. Thanks for sharing your opinions. My biggest worry was about residency and if it was that much harder as a MD frmo the Caribbean. My uncle is an MD from the Caribbean, and he seems to be doing fine.

I've met two residents at Hopkins from St. George and my friend did a DO/PhD and is now a resident at Hopkins. He had a lot of connections though. Either way, it's possible. I prefer the Carribean.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I just don't know if I would like the caribbean, lol. Anyways, Keep em coming. I want to hear others opinions and thoughts.

manfood.com said:
Thanks for the replies. I just don't know if I would like the caribbean, lol. Anyways, Keep em coming. I want to hear others opinions and thoughts.
you wont like getting leveled by hurricanes, thats for sure!

manfood.com said:

This topic has been discussed in depth. The general conclusion that both DO schools and caribbean MD schools are valid paths to US practice. Also it is generally accepted that you'll need to jump through some hoops to practice as a FMG. But in the end it comes down to what route you are more comfortable with.

Also keep in mind that if you have no interest in the DO philosophy, that it gonna be a LONG two years of learning manual medicine.

I think I'd do MD in the Caribbean. I could study and scuba dive! Two of my favorite things! Well, the scuba diving especially...

stoic said:
This topic has been discussed in depth. The general conclusion that both DO schools and caribbean MD schools are valid paths to US practice. Also it is generally accepted that you'll need to jump through some hoops to practice as a FMG. But in the end it comes down to what route you are more comfortable with.

Also keep in mind that if you have no interest in the DO philosophy, that it gonna be a LONG two years of learning manual medicine.

i was just looking at the matchlists for the carib schools (auc/ross/sgu). they seem pretty good...a lot of ppl in family practice, but also a good number in the competitive fields like anesthesiology & surgery. What sort of loops do you think these people had to jump through? (just wondering because I'm considering carib)

uclakid said:
i was just looking at the matchlists for the carib schools (auc/ross/sgu). they seem pretty good...a lot of ppl in family practice, but also a good number in the competitive fields like anesthesiology & surgery. What sort of loops do you think these people had to jump through? (just wondering because I'm considering carib)

It depends very much on the A) the state you want to practice in and B) the school you attended. That's about all I know.

For more info, post this question in the international forums. Some of those guys are in the process of jumping through the hoops (so to speak) and will be able to give you a lot more detailed information.

Good luck,
S

Stay in the United States go D.O. Alot of those off shore diploma mills don't tell you about the people that don't match, they only tell you about the poeple who do. I have a cousin who went to the carribean and didn't match IM until his third try in the match, but again he didn't pass his boards until the third try as well.