Would you recommend buying a treadmill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seamonkey21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, this might be a stupid question but I would like to ask all the med students if they would recommend buying a treadmill for my house while I am in school? I have the money and I am worried that I won't have the time or will power to go to the gym. Would you recommend this purchase? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, this might be a stupid question but I would like to ask all the med students if they would recommend buying a treadmill for my house while I am in school? I have the money and I am worried that I won't have the time or will power to go to the gym. Would you recommend this purchase? :confused:

Why not just buy one later if you find you dont have the time or will power to go to the gym?

I bought my own elliptical last year, and I highly recommend anyone else to do the same. Didn't get a treadmill because I live on the 2nd floor of my building and figured an elliptical would not piss off my lower floor neighbor.

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't see why not. I am the king of multi-tasking, and I think have exercise equipment in the home is worthwhile if you have space/money for it. If you like using a treadmill, I'd say it's an excellent idea.

I opted for a recumbent bike over a treadmill. They're much cheaper and smaller and quieter. Plus, I'm able to read/study while I exercise. It's definitely not the workout of a treadmill, but it's better than nothing.

I bought my own elliptical last year, and I highly recommend anyone else to do the same. Didn't get a treadmill because I live on the 2nd floor of my building and figured an elliptical would not piss off my lower floor neighbor.

I'm also on the 2nd floor and am putting in an order for a treadmill this week. I figure that as long as I workout at a decent time and put some gym-style padding underneath the treadmill that my downstairs neighbors can suck it up. I'd rather maintain my pre-med school weight than make friends with them.

If you have the money, and the motivation to work-out at home, I'd buy it. 1-2 year, you'll have plenty of time for the gym. Third year . . . you'll be glad you have the home machine.

Last year I bought an elliptical and I used it all the time because it was in the living room. At the beginning of this school year I moved it to my spare bedroom and I haven't used it in months! If you buy one put it somewhere you will see it all the time so that you will make a point to use it!

I wouldn't recommend buying any big fitness equipment, especially something expensive like a treadmill. It's more likely to be used as a clothes rack. Get a gym membership- they keep the machines up to date and you don't have the thing taking up floor space in your apartment. Plus, you can use a variety of different machines.

Pilates is a good quick home workout if you are pressed for time. And you don't need a big piece of equipment to do it. Just a 12.99 DVD and a mat.

I'm also on the 2nd floor and am putting in an order for a treadmill this week. I figure that as long as I workout at a decent time and put some gym-style padding underneath the treadmill that my downstairs neighbors can suck it up. I'd rather maintain my pre-med school weight than make friends with them.

I thought about doing the padding under the treadmill thing too, but I keep the elliptical in my living room, and I move it out from against the wall to use it. So it sounded like too much work, and if it's too much work, it'll keep me from using the machine.

Med school IS a treadmill. You don't need to buy one if running in place is your goal.

Members don't see this ad :)
can't u run outside? i try my hardest to get out of the house. not stay in it.

Definitely wait until you see your housing situation. You may end up near a decent park or other jogging grounds and can save the $1000+ by running outside. This won't work for half the year if you're in the midwest or northeast, but i still recommend waiting until you secure housing.

Definitely wait until you see your housing situation. You may end up near a decent park or other jogging grounds and can save the $1000+ by running outside. This won't work for half the year if you're in the midwest or northeast, but i still recommend waiting until you secure housing.

I am fortunate to already know my housing situation. My husband and I bought a 4 bedroom house. We definitely have the room if this is what we want to do.

I personally prefer the elliptical, but if you prefer the treadmill, that's cool. The only drawback I could see would be if you wanted to move. Sometimes the higher-end ones can be heavy.

I admire your commitment to your fitness goals.

can't u run outside? i try my hardest to get out of the house. not stay in it.

Because half the year is below 50 degrees. :thumbdown:

I've used my treadmill consistently for about 3 years (and counting). I use it primarily during the winter months because I'd rather not run outside when it's cold and dark (I almost always run early in the morning). Paid $500 at Sears plus another $100 for a 3-year repair service contract. I'd definitely plan on paying for repairs if you think you'll use your treadmill regularly.

The main reasons I got a treadmill are (1) I love running; (2) but not when it's cold or dark or rainy; and (3) I don't have the time or motivation to go to a gym. It helps that I've set up a TV and DVD player in front of the treadmill (along with wireless headphones)- nothing like watching Seinfeld reruns on DVD before class!

beware the treadmills!!!!!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUIFEYp7024[/YOUTUBE]

I also vote for an elliptical, if you like them. I got one a few years ago and have it in our game room. I use it ALL the time. It's often to hot to run in Houston, or raining, which is the reason that many people workout inside. I would also get up before class in basic sciences and workout (at 5am, when I don't want to go running by myself in the dark), or workout at night. I can also workout on the weekends when my husband is doing something and my kid is napping and I can't leave to go somewhere. I would vote for something that you can also studying on, like the elliptical or a bike, but if you hate those and would only like a treadmill, then go with that. Good luck!

I would just get a motorized wheelchair and embrace your fatness. Seriously just wait for a chubby chaser and you will be set

Only you can answer this question. :) Working out at home is great for some people and horrible for others. Do you need to workout with other people to be motivated, or do you like to workout alone? Does getting your stuff together to go to the gym seem like a big enough hassle that you won't go? Joining a gym is probably cheaper (especially since your school most likely has a free one), but if you'd really prefer a treadmill at home, it could be a good investment. My sister and bil own a treadmill, and both of them use it almost every day, making it a great investment for them. My other sister had a treadmill, and it really was just a clothes rack. So it depends on you and what motivates you. Personally, if I had $1k sitting around, I'd buy one.

Damn, those things are expensive. Most schools give students access to their gym (oftentimes included in tuition and activities fees, without your permission) so just use the gym. Most people can't study while running anyway, so I doubt that's a good excuse for getting one of your own at home. Thirty minutes every couple of days is not that big a deal. Most people spend more than that every day eating crap or checking myspace or facebook. Assuming you have access to a nearby gym, do that. Plus it's more motivating because you are there to specifically workout (or pick up members of the opposite sex, but let's assume exercise is the main goal). Home can be distracting and you may find yourself taking unneeded breaks and not exercising very much at all.

Damn, those things are expensive. Most schools give students access to their gym (oftentimes included in tuition and activities fees, without your permission) so just use the gym. Most people can't study while running anyway, so I doubt that's a good excuse for getting one of your own at home. Thirty minutes every couple of days is not that big a deal. Most people spend more than that every day eating crap or checking myspace or facebook. Assuming you have access to a nearby gym, do that. Plus it's more motivating because you are there to specifically workout (or pick up members of the opposite sex, but let's assume exercise is the main goal). Home can be distracting and you may find yourself taking unneeded breaks and not exercising very much at all.

OTOH, I need the machine in my house so I *have* to use it. If I have to drive to a gym, esp in the middle of the winter when it's snowing and -5, I know myself well enough to know that I just won't do it. I am so good at coming up with excuses on why I am not going to go to the gym at that time. With the elliptical at home, it's there all the time, staring me in the face. It's harder to come up with an excuse not to use it.

Bagel was right on the money. It's an individual choice.

And the machines don't have to be too expensive. Esp when you consider what you might pay for in monthly gym charges (besides school gyms).