would you retake in April 2006?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

big_smiles

Tiffanator - -BoooYaaHH!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I am currently in the applications cycle and have been told I have low MCAT scores on two interviews, and was considering re-taking? In the spring I am taking a normal course-load, research, and writing my thesis to graduate in May. I have a 31, so would you do it? I already took the test twice. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I know several folks who scored 30 or 31 and obtained MSTP spots, some at very good schools, and they aren't URMs. To have interviewers tell you that your MCAT scores are low, well, is pretty darn uncalled for I have to say.

i had one interviewer tell me that too :smuggrin: , but then another interviewer tell me the exact opposite. just explain yourself if you have any weak-spots and be able to show them how intelligent you are in other ways (research, GPA, conversation, etc.).

i'd say if you're still flustered, then start reviewing a bit here and there and wait until the very last moment to sign up for re-take IF you don't get accepted to any programs (or none that you are satisfied with).

but realistically speaking, if you've already taken it twice, i wouldn't take it again unless you think you can make a noticeable improvement (doesn't usually happen from what i have seen).

final words: good luck :luck: on whatever you decide, hold your head up high :thumbup: , and don't let those comments get to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. That's kind of what I was planning on, studying here and there until I hear from the schools I interviewed at, so I can apply next cycle if necessary. Thanks for the encouragement and all. Good luck to you guys too!

JPaikman said:
To have interviewers tell you that your MCAT scores are low, well, is pretty darn uncalled for I have to say.

Agreed-- the OP's MCAT is higher that mine, and none of my interviews made any comments about it. And it's not like I'm struggling in med school now b/c I wasn't in the top 99%-ile of MCAT takers...

Good luck to the OP-- I hope you get in somewhere soon, even if just to stick it to that interviewer :)

big smiles,
i feel u..im in the same situation, i had only one interview so far and i am already depressed..my mcats score is like urs and i had excellent GPA so i was hoping that would compensate...trying to figure out what the problem was i was thinking to either retake the MCAT( for the third time) or reapply and this time apply to plenty schools, cause i applied to only 6 out of which 4 were top ten..oh well, so im also trying to figure out wheather i needed to retake the MCAT since we r talking about MSTP not just regular MD or reapply with the same score but to lower schools..im also international, and have lots of research experience..well, i guess we should wait untill we really get rejected from all the schools we applied to and than consider retaking the mcats..it wouldn't hurt if u r planning to go to a great school to have a better score, chances of getting in are better...so, i guess good luck to both of us:)

Hey thanks,
I think I'll wait it out and take the August MCAT for next year's cycle if I need to. It's a hard balance with classes, research, working, and still trying to find time to study for the MCAT. Thanks for everyone's advice though. I appreciate it. Good luck to everyone!

Sometimes its a combination of more research, apply as early as possible, and apply to more places outside of popular regions (i.e. outside of New York City and California).

I honestly don't think the MCAT matters as much at some schools...I am in the lower 30's and applied late and have already been through several MD/PhD and MSTP interviews with more on the way. If you have extensive research experience and ideas on how you want to infuse your research ideas into the field of medicine you will be very successful with your MCAT score. Now schools like WashU and UNC are gonna snub you but there are plenty of top programs that won't (the big ten schools come to mind...Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Northwestern have superb MSTP programs...and also I think tend to not care about the MCAT as long as you got past 30). Also I think applying to a range of programs is a good idea...there are some great and pretty big non-MSTP programs out there...I just visited KU and they have a growing program...their four M4's were pretty much looking at their pick of residencies so don't limit yourself to selecting a program based on "name" unless you are dead set on working out east (ie completely research oriented)...for me I have no desire to so I wouldn't mind going to a school most of the people on this forum would look down on. In fact I think I would prefer going somewhere where the mud phuds have a good time together...something often overlooked in these parts.

I have a 32 and have not met any resistance at the interviews I've been to. I think it did affect my chances at getting interviews for MD/PhD at the top 3 medical schools tho.

Wow congrats SnoBored and civic57, and I appreciate your advice