Would you say PT is considered a feminine career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8MoreReps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I told one of my older friends I hadn't seen in a while that I was planning on becoming a PT and he was like "why would you want to do that isn't that a girl's career and don't you have to massage people?". I don't agree with him at all, but does the general public see it that way?

Members don't see this ad.

Although physical therapy isn't necessarily a "woman's career" anymore, it is primarily dominated by women, as women make up about 70-74% of APTA members. The history of physical therapy can be traced back to the 1890s when nurses formed a School of Physiotherapy and to the 1920s when the first professional association of physical therapists was formed, called the American Women's Physical Therapeutic Association. However, with the increased need for physical therapists and the changing and evolving practices in physical therapy, more and more men are becoming physical therapists.

One really would not think of PT as a "woman's career", although it certainly holds strong roots in that part of its history. Modern PT is changing and most of the patients who are not ignorant of PT know what it entails. Usually, those who have misconceptions of PT need to be educated more about the profession. There are even physicians out there that think PTs are just advanced "massage therapists" or "personal trainers". Educating the public and our fellow professionals in healthcare is the only way we will be able to effectively get our profession "out there" and gain respect.

Although physical therapy isn't necessarily a "woman's career" anymore, it is primarily dominated by women, as women make up about 70-74% of APTA members. The history of physical therapy can be traced back to the 1890s when nurses formed a School of Physiotherapy and to the 1920s when the first professional association of physical therapists was formed, called the American Women's Physical Therapeutic Association. However, with the increased need for physical therapists and the changing and evolving practices in physical therapy, more and more men are becoming physical therapists.

One really would not think of PT as a "woman's career", although it certainly holds strong roots in that part of its history. Modern PT is changing and most of the patients who are not ignorant of PT know what it entails. Usually, those who have misconceptions of PT need to be educated more about the profession. There are even physicians out there that think PTs are just advanced "massage therapists" or "personal trainers". Educating the public and our fellow professionals in healthcare is the only way we will be able to effectively get our profession "out there" and gain respect.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
PT does have a larger ratio of women to men. In fact, I think the numbers are approximately 2 females to every male practicing in the field. Does that make it a "girly" field? :rolleyes:. That would really depend on who you ask and how you/they view the world. I infer that the same could be said about nursing, OT and certain medical specialties(i.e. pediatrics). Our class has a ratio of more than 3 girls to one guy and it has not been an issue at all.

I think situations like that are "teaching opportunities", and you should be ready to enlighten those who are ignorant or misinformed about the nature of the profession; including the past and current gender history of PT.

PT does have a larger ratio of women to men. In fact, I think the numbers are approximately 2 females to every male practicing in the field. Does that make it a "girly" field? :rolleyes:. That would really depend on who you ask and how you/they view the world. I infer that the same could be said about nursing, OT and certain medical specialties(i.e. pediatrics). Our class has a ratio of more than 3 girls to one guy and it has not been an issue at all.

I think situations like that are "teaching opportunities", and you should be ready to enlighten those who are ignorant or misinformed about the nature of the profession; including the past and current gender history of PT.

Nice Ox. You enjoying yourself? :laugh:

And my class is the exact opposite. More guys than girls in my class.

I always laugh when people see us as just massage therapists. I had 1 hour of lecture and lab on soft tissue mobilization in class and it wasn't even on my final practical exam! Also, I've only done soft tissue work on 3 patients so far in my collective 6 months of clinical experience. XP

Funny that this thread is here. I have a class this semester called "professional practice" and our professor showed us this OLD video from the 70's where random people from the street were asked what they thought of physical therapists. Mostly all of them said something along the lines of "female, tom boy, unmarried (lol), not a lot of money, sporty, not academically driven (grr)" haha.

Anyway, from my understanding, females do make up a large portion of the profession. It's quite the opposite where I live though, men make up most of practicing PT's in the state. Nevertheless, in no way is it a "girl's career."

Most people I talk to also seem to think all I will be doing is massage ??? Like Akiramay, the extent of massage education I got was 4 hours worth of lab in my modalities class, ha.