Would you suggest to continuously review course material from anatomy, genetics, etc. to help lighten learning load in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschooldream9098

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, I’m sorry. I was just wondering if it would be beneficial to me to review courses, such as; anatomy, genetics, cell bio, physiology, biochemistry, etc.

I have read about a lot of Medical Students who said that taking these classes helped them when they were having to learn it in medical school but because their memory faded a bit, it wasn’t as helpful as it could have been if they were able to recall more. Especially with anatomy because there is so much information to learn in anatomy. It wouldn’t interrupt my studies, it would just be light review during free time i.e when I’m watching tv, before going to sleep, free time at work, etc. Or would just Anatomy be beneficial to continuously review? Or none of the above lol
Thank you so much for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Enjoy your free time, relax, do something more meaningful (hobbies, EC's, etc). You'll have more than enough time to learn in medical, enjoy your time now.

Reactions: 8 users
This may be a dumb question, I’m sorry. I was just wondering if it would be beneficial to me to review courses, such as; anatomy, genetics, cell bio, physiology, biochemistry, etc.

I have read about a lot of Medical Students who said that taking these classes helped them when they were having to learn it in medical school but because their memory faded a bit, it wasn’t as helpful as it could have been if they were able to recall more. Especially with anatomy because there is so much information to learn in anatomy. It wouldn’t interrupt my studies, it would just be light review during free time i.e when I’m watching tv, before going to sleep, free time at work, etc. Or would just Anatomy be beneficial to continuously review? Or none of the above lol
None of the above.
Learn to cook. Improve your Spanish. Make a budget. Anything but pre-studying!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
None of the above.
Haha that’s funny you say improve Spanish because I’ve actually started learning and was going to cut into Spanish time to add anatomy studying but I’ll take your advice :) thank you!!

Reactions: 1 user
Haha that’s funny you say improve Spanish because I’ve actually started learning and was going to cut into Spanish time to add anatomy studying but I’ll take your advice :) thank you!!
Add develop a hobby and find a passion for anything outside medicine.

You’ll end up covering an entire UG biochem course in maybe a week (max?) of Med school lectures do it really won’t matter anyway

As someone who just finished their third week of med school, definitely enjoy your time. Med school honestly isn't that bad so far, and there's no reason to review anatomy or anything school-related. If you must, I'd just keep the basics of DNA replication, transcription, mitosis/meiosis etc. in your memory so you can breeze through that and focus on more "complicated" things.

EDIT: or maybe try to learn how to use Anki. I'm still not super proficient in it but manyyyy people use it and I actually like it as a review method. It can be complicated with all the add-ons and such.

None of the above.

Other ideas.

1) Learn to meditate
2) Work out
3) Lose weight if you need to
4) Get a year supply of antidepressants and anxiety meds from your doctor.

Jk on the last one (not really)

Add develop a hobby and find a passion for anything outside medicine.

You’ll end up covering an entire UG biochem course in maybe a week (max?) of Med school lectures do it really won’t matter anyway
They cover it all in one week?

As someone who just finished their third week of med school, definitely enjoy your time. Med school honestly isn't that bad so far, and there's no reason to review anatomy or anything school-related. If you must, I'd just keep the basics of DNA replication, transcription, mitosis/meiosis etc. in your memory so you can breeze through that and focus on more "complicated" things.

EDIT: or maybe try to learn how to use Anki. I'm still not super proficient in it but manyyyy people use it and I actually like it as a review method. It can be complicated with all the add-ons and such.
Thank you for the advice!! I just am worried because I’ve read medical students also saying how gruesome it is and that it was helpful to have had those classes so I thought maybe I should continuously review. But it seems like everyone agrees with one another that there’s no need for me to review. :)

Do NOT study med school material until you are amedical student.

It's foolish to do so as a pre-med or an accepted because you have no context to what you going to learn and you don't know what your Faculty will be stressing.

What you should be mastering is the art of time mgt

Reactions: 4 users
They cover it all in one week?
This is from a premed who has not been in the specific MED school scenario. These things are very very school specific and subject specific and cannot be put into numbers. Most estimates I have seen are between 23 and 31 credits per semester in equivalencies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Truthfully? It did some for me. I was so excited I would go through Netters and study the pics, etc. It made probably the first two weeks easier for me. But it gave that extra boost to get ahead.

Now, if I had to do it all again would I? Possibly, but that's just me. Would I recommend it? I think I could've done the same even without it, but it did leave me feeling a little secure. But I do wish I had traveled more, seen a few more of the fairer sex, etc. If wishes were fishes they say..