would you want 3.8 GPA/20 DAT or 3.5/23?

Started by mikedoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mikedoc

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
would you want 3.8 GPA/20 DAT or 3.5/23?

assuming the same undergraduate
 
the later all the way. with a 3.5 you can still get into most specialties, and a 23 just says you kick ass at standardized tests.😎
 
u ask a lot of questions..
but why does this one matter?
can u choose which stats u have? does what we want matters?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would take the 3.8/20 because you can always retake standardized exams but your gpa is pretty much stuck at where your at assuming your close to graduating.

In my opinion, I think a higher gpa is more impressive than having high DAT scores because it takes more academic consistency to maintain such a high gpa rather than taking one exam.
 
I would definately take the 3.5 and the 23. GPAs are inflated and don't always give an accurate depiction of a candidates abilities. Although the DAT is imperfect as a measure for intelligence or comprehension of the subjects encountered in undergraduate, it does give a good indication of future performance in dental school. You can't hide from the DAT.
 
The higher the DAT the better...just like the higher the SAT score the better...How many people do you know that have a 4.0? too many...Now how many people have a 30AA??
 
i would take both....both are gonna get you in somewhere (or an interview, then your personality can only ruin it)
 
Ideally, I'll have a 4.0 with a 30/30/30 DAT.

These things are out of your control. Just try your best and do the best you can. That'll eliminate a lot of your anxiety.
Best of luck to everyone.
 
want a higher gpa? take lower lvl classes. don't tell me you didn't ask around to see which professor's easier and gives out more A's. I did that and took the more difficult professors so I could learn. my friends took the easier prof's.