wow.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p30doc

Ever true and unwavering
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At an interview for an MD school, I was asked what other schools I have interviewed at, I mentioned DO schools where I was and my interviewer said no i mean medical schools. I clarified thinking she thought I meant another program at that university and said it was for the DO program, and the interviewer said NO I MEANT MEDICAL SCHOOLS.:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Which school was this?
What was your response? :laugh:

:wow::uhno:

was she old? it's usually the old-timers that still have that stupid old "DO's aren't real doctors" mentality stuck in their heads:annoyed:

Members don't see this ad :)
At an interview for an MD school, I was asked what other schools I have interviewed at, I mentioned DO schools where I was and my interviewer said no i mean medical schools. I clarified thinking she thought I meant another program at that university and said it was for the DO program, and the interviewer said NO I MEANT MEDICAL SCHOOLS.:eek:

Wow.....sorry to hear that! I don't know how I'd respond. I would def. take that offensively. That's a shame that she has that attitude. I hope she's not a professor teaching students that.

Thats is horrible.

I was interviewed by an old-school pathologist for my pre-health committee. She went out of her way to point out about one of my LOR authors , who was an actual colleague of hers, "You know he is just a PhD, right?...Well I guess there are other ways to call yourself a doctor. (smug tone)". When I brought up that I has worked through out college and contributed to my tuition payment she asked, "So, how do you expect to pay for medical school?" I told her I would be taking out loans. She responded, "Hmm, really". Sorry I don't have a quarter-million sitting around.....

That's pretty impressive. I wonder when the last time this lady worked in a hospital was.

She's just angry at the fact that DO women are 10x hotter than MD women. :thumbup:

nice. :rolleyes:

:eek::eek::eek:

Wow it is sad to see that such ignorance exists. Unfortunately it is far too common.

Thats is horrible.

I was interviewed by an old-school pathologist for my pre-health committee. She went out of her way to point out about one of my LOR authors , who was an actual colleague of hers, "You know he is just a PhD, right?...Well I guess there are other ways to call yourself a doctor. (smug tone)". When I brought up that I has worked through out college and contributed to my tuition payment she asked, "So, how do you expect to pay for medical school?" I told her I would be taking out loans. She responded, "Hmm, really". Sorry I don't have a quarter-million sitting around.....

Dude, I frankly believe that it's harder to get a PhD than it is to get an MD/DO...really, there's no ingenuity required to become a physician.

But there are a lot of people out there with this attitude...I don't get it. Like, I met somebody the other day who was young, and he said that DO's shouldn't be allowed to practice outside of family medicine because they're fake doctors.

Of course, this guy has yet to be admitted to med school, so he might be re-evaluating his opinions in the near future. :rolleyes:

And I doubt very few people have enough cash available to pay for med school, sans loans. It's absurd to assume that anybody does, really.

wow, i woulda replied ahhh.... douche.. with an accent on the E as if i were saying touche, witch would have made her stop for a second and wonder if she heard you right.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a slight chance that she said that to get you rattled...

I don't want to say which school because my other interviewer there was great, and was praising a DO school saying a lot of their colleagues graduated from it. So I don't think it is a reflection on the institutions attitude, just this individual. She was older, but she is also an active clinician. Maybe it was to rattle me, I don't know. After clarifying twice for her the interview moved on, sure I wanted to scream at her for her ignorance, but I didn't and tried to keep it civil.

that stinks - but hope the rest of the interview day went well!! :D

That certaintly wasn't professional.

Did it make you rethink your apps to DO or Caribbean schools (if any)? Or make you stronger? I hope it made you stronger! Peace.

There is a slight chance that she said that to get you rattled...

That is a really interesting thought. It'd be kind of cool if that were the case.

Are you certain the interviewer was an "M.D."? I actually had an attending D.O. test me in a similar fashion when I was a 3rd year on clerkship rotations.

Did it make you rethink your apps to DO or Caribbean schools (if any)? Or make you stronger? I hope it made you stronger! Peace.

I don't let other peoples ignorance effect my opinion, so I have absolutely not rethought DO. I am still going to choose the schools I attend (if I am lucky enough to have multiple acceptances or an acceptance at all) whether it be DO or MD based upon cost, location, and my impressions from the interview day. I didn't apply to the caribbean, I don't think island living would be for me.

Are you certain the interviewer was an "M.D."? I actually had an attending D.O. test me in a similar fashion when I was a 3rd year on clerkship rotations.
yup it was an MD, it could have been a test, who knows

Rock. DO and Caribbean MD are equally good as far as I'm concerned!