WREB 2009 New Pink Slip Record on 1 procedure (4)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msf41

AADSAS = rip off
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I finished WREB this weekend, and everything went fine until my last procedure (class II amalgam). Everything went wrong with this procedure, and I got 4 pink slips on this one procedure:

4 pink slips for:
1) first submitted lesion rejected for "over treatment"
2) big MOD prep requested 5 mods, pink slip because 2 mods were rejected for "not acceptable as written"
3) "affected dentin" 1 surface
4) "post op care instructions-adjust hyper occlusion or repair damaged restoration". during grading pt bit down and broke off small part of marginal ridge

Operative is the only secion I'm worried about (obviously).

Has anyone ever heard of getting this many pink slips and passing?

Members don't see this ad.

honestly...u probably failed, but its possible to pass if your preps and restorations were ideal.

So I finished WREB this weekend, and everything went fine until my last procedure (class II amalgam). Everything went wrong with this procedure, and I got 4 pink slips on this one procedure:

4 pink slips for:
1) first submitted lesion rejected for "over treatment"
2) big MOD prep requested 5 mods, pink slip because 2 mods were rejected for "not acceptable as written"
3) "affected dentin" 1 surface
4) "post op care instructions-adjust hyper occlusion or repair damaged restoration". during grading pt bit down and broke off small part of marginal ridge

Operative is the only secion I'm worried about (obviously).

Has anyone ever heard of getting this many pink slips and passing?

Add up the points and do the math. As far as #3, is this regarded as leaving caries? If so, you're screwed.

You may pass, you may not pass. I don't know how the grading scale has changed from when I took it last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could still pass.

The WREB distinguishes between remaining caries and affected dentin. According to the candidate guide, they are not the same. You did not automatically fail. The affected dentin is part of the preparation grade under internal form. If it was there, you got a 2 on that portion of the preparation

Mathematically, I calculate that you would have to get an average of 4 on every other operative section, including the other restoration to achieve a 3 after the deductions.

You received 2 0.3 deductions. One for rejection, the other for modification denial.

You received 2 out of five on the amalgam internal form of preparation and 2 out of five on the finish, function and damage of the restoration.

For the amalgam, if you received 4, 2, and 4 for preparation and 4, 2, 4 for restoration while receiving 4, 4, 4 and 4, 4, 4 for preparation and restoration of the composite you earned 44 out of 60 possible points. While this is 73.33%, and appears to fail, 73.33% of the 5 maximum points is a 3.66. Your two deductions would leave you at 3.06 and that is passing.

When they rejected your mods, who gave you the pink slip? The floor examiner or after grading?

Last edited:
You could still pass.

The WREB distinguishes between remaining caries and affected dentin. According to the candidate guide, they are not the same. You did not automatically fail. The affected dentin is part of the preparation grade under internal form. If it was there, you got a 2 on that portion of the preparation

Mathematically, I calculate that you would have to get an average of 4 on every other operative section, including the other restoration to achieve a 3 after the deductions.

You received 2 0.3 deductions. One for rejection, the other for modification denial.

You received 2 out of five on the amalgam internal form of preparation and 2 out of five on the finish, function and damage of the restoration.

For the amalgam, if you received 4, 2, and 4 for preparation and 4, 2, 4 for restoration while receiving 4, 4, 4 and 4, 4, 4 for preparation and restoration of the composite you earned 44 out of 60 possible points. While this is 73.33%, and appears to fail, 73.33% of the 5 maximum points is a 3.66. Your two deductions would leave you at 3.06 and that is passing.

When they rejected your mods, who gave you the pink slip? The floor examiner or after grading?

I agree he can still pass the wreb. However, I believe your calculations are incorrect.
PREPARATION WEIGHTING
Outline & Extension: 46%
Internal Form: 39%
Operative Environment: 15%
FINISH WEIGHTING
Anatomical Form: 36.5%
Margins: 36.5%
Finish, Function & Damage: 27%

I believe that the Wreb scoring system still uses the 1-5 system.
5 = 100%
4 = 88%
3 = 75%
2 = 55%
1 = 35%

So if you wish to calculate your score you can with these numbers. You cannot calculate it the way from the previous post because each score you get is weighed differently, they are not all worth the same percent. Also the 2 0.3 deductions are subtracted from your preparation score not your total score.

So if you wish to calculate your score you can with these numbers. You cannot calculate it the way from the previous post because each score you get is weighed differently, they are not all worth the same percent. Also the 2 0.3 deductions are subtracted from your preparation score not your total score.

He can pass, but it will be very difficult.

For preparation internal form he gets a maximum of a 2 (for the affected dentin). As you said the internal form is the most heavily weighted section of the prep grade. He also has the 0.6 points deducted from the total prep score, which will kill the score.

For finish grade he can't get higher than a 2 as well (severe hyperocclusion due to restoration fracturing upon occlusion).

Just got my 2009 WREB results back...It is a miracle....

I PASSED

:love:
I have never heard of this before....4 pink slips...and I still passed!!!!

The prep that I got the 4 pink slips on was a big MOD on #20. I've been told that graders are more lenient on larger lesions. Anyway...it's a miracle.

I PASSED

The prep that I got the 4 pink slips on was a big MOD on #20. I've been told that graders are more lenient on larger lesions. Anyway...it's a miracle.

congrats bud.

i find out next week and if i pass my endo that would really be a miracle.
p.s i am not counting on it.

I PASSED

Congratulations! It's gotta feel great. I knew you could still pass. It must have been pretty scary though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually...I got my individual scores from my clinical coordinator at school. I'm not sure why WREB doesn't mail these to the students.

Here's the breakdown of my scores. (these were not mailed to me).

PATP 4.65
PROSTH 86.5%
ENDO 4.63
PERIO 97.3%
OPERATIVE 3.11 (just squeeked by) :eek:

Last edited:
Actually...I got my individual scores from my clinical coordinator at school. I'm not sure why WREB doesn't mail these to the students.

Here's the breakdown of my scores. (these were not mailed to me).

PATP 4.65
PROSTH 86.5%
ENDO 4.63
PERIO 97.3%
OPERATIVE 3.11 (just squeeked by) :eek:

i would take a 3.00000001 on endo. :)

The changes have to do with scoring. Previous years, including last year, a candidate could pass the test as a whole as long as the cumulative score was 75 or above. For instance you could rock operative and suck it up in endo and as long as the combined scores of each section tallied over the 75 mark, you were fine. (operative+perio+endo+prosth+tx planning=75)

Starting this year, a candidate has to score a 75 or above in EACH section in order to pass the whole test. Perhaps a little harder.

The changes have to do with scoring. Previous years, including last year, a candidate could pass the test as a whole as long as the cumulative score was 75 or above. For instance you could rock operative and suck it up in endo and as long as the combined scores of each section tallied over the 75 mark, you were fine. (operative+perio+endo+prosth+tx planning=75)

Starting this year, a candidate has to score a 75 or above in EACH section in order to pass the whole test. Perhaps a little harder.

yeah i think they revised to it to partly conjunctive in 2005 then they changed it to completely conjunctive for our year. i think way back it used to be 55% for passing or something.

wreb says that they changed it to conjunctive so that more states would be willing to accept WREB results.

I PASSED

Id like to say two things: you have some real guts to post your experience with the rest of the world. And the second thing is CONGRATULATIONS! :thumbup:

I wonder if anyone ever passed with 4 pink slips?! You could be the one!!!

Id like to say two things: you have some real guts to post your experience with the rest of the world. And the second thing is CONGRATULATIONS! :thumbup:

thats the right thing to do. it helps everyone else.

one of my classmates passed with 5 pink slips the first time I took it. I remember how furious I was that I had failed that time around.

one of my classmates passed with 5 pink slips the first time I took it. I remember how furious I was that I had failed that time around.

Ouch... I mean AWESOME!!! Just found out my buddy failed the operative section with 2 pink slips. Just like wreb people say, getting a pink slip does not mean failure and not getting one means nothing neither.

Here's my experience.

Perio:

Just removed the clicks and checked with my probe what else is there?

Endo:

Overall good. I had some minor radiolucency on the apical 1/3 of my obturation on my posterior tooth. I was a bit sloppy with my obturation and had to spend time cleaning melted gutta percha off the floor of the pulp chamber.

Operative **** :

I felt i did reasonably well on the operative section; did my best to aim for the "5" criteria, felt I was pretty close both of my preps. I felt my amalgam restoration was ok. My composite class II was a different story. I got a pink slip stating: "replace defective restoration, gross open margin on DL". Now I was really shocked because I checked this area with my explorer, then I realized that I checked it with the rubber dam ON and not off so that made sense. So this added a sense of uncertainity on the operative section for me. I have no idea how the numbers are going to crunch. Were any of you in a similar situation and passed this exam? Please let me know. Thanks. :(

i placed a paper point in the other canal so that i dont get GP and sealer in there. I still freaking managed to get some sealer in there and saw that on the final X Ray. to take points off for this is really ******ed and it just pisses me off.

my results for the endo retake from june 5-8 at USC was mailed yesterday on Fri. I hope it gets here on Mon since i am in the middle of moving and have my mails forwarded to another state starting next Wed. i am nervous and i CANNOT fail this time.

hey perfect i took the operative portion at usc 5-9th also. how do u know that they sent out the scores on friday?

hey perfect i took the operative portion at usc 5-9th also. how do u know that they sent out the scores on friday?

i am in the process of moving and have all my mail forwarded to another state starting next wed. so, i waited till late Fri to see if the website would say wether they were mailed or not. no news on the website so i went ahead and emailed them to have my address changed and results mailed to a diff address.

i checked my mail sat morning and saw that they had emailed me late Fri saying they have mailed my results on Fri and that they couldnt change the address. i guess they'll change the website status on Mon saying they were mailed Fri.

got my results today and i PASSED!

thank god i am done with this crap.

good luck to everyone else still going through this.

got my results today and i PASSED!

thank god i am done with this crap.

good luck to everyone else still going through this.

Waiting on my results, got 2 pink slips.

One for leaving "affected dentin"

one for not charting the way they wanted for Perio section. I was told there's no deductions from the floor examiner. Since it's just an error of paperwork.

verrry anxious!:scared: