Wrestling Skin Checks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AviatorDoc

fizz ee at' rist
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was asked by a PT to help do skin checks for wrestlers prior to their season. Anyone have experience with this? What to look for?

Members don't see this ad.

Check skin for the following: eczema, warts, scabies, molluscum contagiosum, staph infections including folliculitis, impetigo, tinea Infections and cold sores. Basically anything that is contagious through skin to skin contact.

Check skin for the following: eczema, warts, scabies, molluscum contagiosum, staph infections including folliculitis, impetigo, tinea Infections and cold sores. Basically anything that is contagious through skin to skin contact.

Eczema is contagious? :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a great little tool that many officials use called "mat doctor" that is a laminated folding card that shows the most typical expressions of contagious derm diseases.

There is a great little tool that many officials use called "mat doctor" that is a laminated folding card that shows the most typical expressions of contagious derm diseases.

Do you have a link or anything? Quick google search did not find anything related other than thread.

As an ex wrestler ... ringworm, ringworm, and oh ... ringworm. I used to know guys who would hide it and wrestle, would watch people do a miserable job 'cleaning' the mats with gross water and a dash of soap. Then after matches, my coach would tell us to go wash with anti-biotic soap so we wouldn't get a fungus.

Do you have a link or anything? Quick google search did not find anything related other than thread.

Sorry, I worked a meet a month ago or so and one of the officials showed me his little trifold 5x8" guide and i thought it was mat doctor. I can't find it either. I did find a PDF with similar thoughts, just not as portable.

http://www.csmfoundation.org/Administrative_Responsibilities_in_Collegiate_Wrestling.pdf

In Minnesota, the referees are in charge of that. Docs can overrule but onsite, the refs are gods.

Ringworm! I remember getting that as a high school wrestler. I was out for just over a month because of that. We always have to make sure that the mats are well sanitized before and after any practice or meet.