Wright State Boonshoft vs George Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted987875

I was accepted into Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine (DO), Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine (MD), and George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences (MD). My top two choices are Wright State and George Washington. I have started working on a pros and cons list for both schools. Any suggestions/thoughts on what anyone thinks of these two schools?

Here is my pros and cons list for both schools so far:
Wright State Boonshoft-
Pros:
Tuition:
I qualify for in-state tuition since I am an Ohio resident and my parents currently live in Beavercreek, OH
I am familiar with the area and know it very well
Networking Connections:
I know several physicians that are associated with Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
Curriculum:
It is pass/fail for the first 2 years
There is a Big/Little Program
Student Support:
I know several current medical students at Boonshoft
Though Boonshoft is a PWI (predominantly white institution), there is a large minority community, especially in organizations such as SNMA (Student National Medical Association) and White Coats for Black Lives
There is a lot of minority representation in administration, including the Associate Dean of Admissions and Student Affairs, and the Director of Admissions both being African-American
Cons
Curriculum:
There are NO lectures
You have to prepare prior to coming to class. This means do readings and go over required material before coming to class.
It is peer-instruction and team-based learning
There is a quiz every single class period
However, the first quiz is by yourself. The second quiz is as a group. I just hope I get a good group..
Wright State Boonshoft does not have its own teaching hospital/medical center

George Washington
Pros:
Prestigious- it was founded in 1824
One of the most selective med schools in the country based on the number of applicants
Curriculum:
Pass/Fail for the first 2 years
Lecture-based curriculum
Everyone gets their own iPad
CLASS Center (Clinical Learning & Simulation Skills)
Research
Many student research opportunities at GW and outside of GW
Rotations:
GW has its own academic medical center/teaching hospital
You get to experience diverse patient populations and encounters all around the DC-MD-VA area, such as the NIH Clinical Center, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Children’s National Hospital
I currently am a postbac IRTA Fellow at the NIH Clinical Center so I have some connections with the NIH. I could use these connections to potentially do clinical research at the NIH while I am a med student at GW.
Cons:
Located in the city of Washington, DC
There is traffic
DC is expensive to live in
You cannot park your car in DC unless you change your license plate to DC and your driver’s license is for DC
Tuition
The tuition is very expensive

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go with GW if you are okay with moving away from family. Better school with more opportunities.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Exact COA is important here. GW is likely worth 70k more. 150k? Nope.
Yes, my dad said that GW;s tuition is 75% more than Boonshoft's.. I need to fill out the FAFSA form ASAP to see how much a financial aid scholarship will be for both schools..

Yea, GW is like 200k more. Gotta wait for fin aid

A few days ago, I found out from my dad that my parents’ GI Bill benefits will cover all of the tuition for Wright State because Wright State is a public school and I’m an in-state Ohio resident

For GW, the GI Bill will cover about half of the tuition. Neither school offered me scholarship money. They just offered me the Stanford Loan and Grad Plus Loan. Therefore, should I reach out to GW and see if there is any way that could offer me money?