Wright vs. DU vs SFU MFT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n00b2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted into two PsyD programs - University of Denver and also The Wright Institute in Berkeley. I also got into SFSU's MFT program. My initial top choice was Wright (I live in SF) but I know DU is really good and also am balking at the cost a little which is why the MFT @ SFSU tempts me.

Any advice? Anyone know if one program is way way better than another and why?

Members don't see this ad.

In some ways this is an "apples and oranges" question, as the MFT license is focused on treating couples and families and is a master's level degree, while the others are a longer commitment and a broader scope of practice but MUCH more expensive. If you want the more conservative path, do the SFSU master's with the idea that you may then apply for a funded Ph.D. position (but that will probably entail being willing to leave the Bay Area). I am assuming that you would be getting an MA in clinical psych (and also meeting requirements for the MFT) The SF state program is very solid clinical training and academic quality is probably comparable to the professional school programs. They just are different organizational/professional paths. In these economic times, many would consider you wise to take the more frugal path.

Hey congratulations on the multiple acceptances. I just got accepted to the Wright Institute. I also got accepted to at least one MA program plus have an open application at an MS program. I applied to DU but didn't get an interview, so I have no basis of comparison between the Wright and DU other than the publicly available information re: test scores, match rates, etc. You seem satisfied that the two PsyD programs are decent options. I'm not sure there is any "right time" to go back to school, but you may have extenuating circumstances. If you went for the MFT, would you simply forgo eventually moving on to doctoral level studies? If not, that is, if you think you'd go for it someday anyway, why not now? To state the obvious, it only takes longer and gets more expensive to put it off - speaking from experience, I waited 15 years after my MA to be going back to school. If you want to toss some ideas around (PM or right here) about the Wright or other aspects of the decision, I'd love to know what you think...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would love some answers to some of these questions myself, so if someone could post answers, it would be great.
What are the potential incomes for MFT vs PsyD?
What are the different potential job prospects? Hospitals, private practice ect
How transferable is it to different states? (I always want to leave that open...) I think CA has a 60 credit minimum but NY is about 54, so you might have to take extra classes depending on where you want to practice.

With questions like yours, it seems that there is no right or wrong one, just which one is best for you. Good luck on that decision and congrats on so many acceptances!

I've been accepted into two PsyD programs - University of Denver and also The Wright Institute in Berkeley. I also got into SFSU's MFT program. My initial top choice was Wright (I live in SF) but I know DU is really good and also am balking at the cost a little which is why the MFT @ SFSU tempts me.

Any advice? Anyone know if one program is way way better than another and why?

my advice is that it's really all about your goals. pick the program that's most congruent with what you want to do as a student and beyond. cost is a major factor and it's good that you're considering it but place it in context with the opportunities that come with the training and the degrees. congrats on your acceptances and best of luck!

What are the potential incomes for MFT vs PsyD?
What are the different potential job prospects? Hospitals, private practice ect

A quick search within the clinical forum for "MFT" + "PsyD" should turn up some threads. I know I have written at length at the difference between MA/MS v. Psy.D/Ph.D./Ed.D. training, so any of those posts should answer some of your questions. Looking up "apples" and "oranges" should also pop up some posts I've written on the topic, as I know I have used the phrase before when talking about the difference between Masters and Doctoral training.