Wright Institute?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, actually seeing the numbers Mercury laid out makes things pretty darn clear. Also worth noting that 126k is less than some people will need to take out for these programs, albeit that repayment plan is more aggressive than what many will do.

I certainly would not have felt remotely comfortable buying our modestly-priced home in a region with a relatively low cost of living with loan payments like that, let alone the 200k+ that some people will need to take. I also earn well above median pay for a clinical psychologist and have a multitude of benefits on top of that salary that are likely equal or better than you could get anywhere else (i.e. absurdly cheap health insurance, ~10% retirement contribution).

Really what all of this boils down to is that funded programs might require you to "live like a student" for 6 years with maybe a little more on the front end to prepare for admission, whereas unfunded programs require you to "live like a student" for 5-6 years as a student and 10+ years afterwards while you pay down the debt. All this for the privilege of what is regarded by many as a worse education, one that <may> lock you completely out of some of the better options for psychology jobs depending on where you match for internship, and that provides a much narrower skillset that could limit you professionally moving forward.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Unrelated but kind of: I know a psychologist at a company I do some consulting with who went to one of the usual suspect programs, and who ultimately did get it all forgiven by PSLF ( I have no idea how given how tough it is to show, but she did). What I found most interesting was that she told me that she stopped telling people about it because of the legitimate shade she received. Like judgement level shade, specifically from other working professionals. I find this fascinating.

Unrelated but kind of: I know a psychologist at a company I do some consulting with who went to one of the usual suspect programs, and who ultimately did get it all forgiven by PSLF ( I have no idea how given how tough it is to show, but she did). What I found most interesting was that she told me that she stopped telling people about it because of the legitimate shade she received. Like judgement level shade, specifically from other working professionals. I find this fascinating.

Some individuals are of the "you get what you get" mindset. Like, "you go to XYZ school, you deserve XXX debt." Which, I guess that makes sense, because the person is knowingly going to that school... however, with this, people are also just mean as heck when good things happen to others and not them. "Becky got her loans forgiven? How dare her????" Or maybe I just know reallllllyyyy catty people :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some individuals are of the "you get what you get" mindset. Like, "you go to XYZ school, you deserve XXX debt." Which, I guess that makes sense, because the person is knowingly going to that school... however, with this, people are also just mean as heck when good things happen to others and not them. "Becky got her loans forgiven? How dare her????" Or maybe I just know reallllllyyyy catty people :laugh:
In this case, I think it's more "you went to XYZ program knowing that there would be massive debt from it, now you have the taxpayers (including me) paying for your bad financial decision that helps prop up these diploma mills."

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it, but I think it's different than people being "mean" or "catty."

Gonna need some citations here.
Unable to provide with citations. First-hand observation. You are right. "Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding..."

Also worth noting that 126k is less than some people will need to take out for these programs, albeit that repayment plan is more aggressive than what many will do.
You are correct! 126K may not be a representative number. From what I have seen, 200k+ is probably the norm. thoughtsandairs also emphasized other factors and laid out the consequences of carrying a large loan. A "more aggressive" repayment plan helps in the long run. There are other options; however, the quicker the loan can be paid off, the better it is ;-)

Last edited:
In this case, I think it's more "you went to XYZ program knowing that there would be massive debt from it, now you have the taxpayers (including me) paying for your bad financial decision that helps prop up these diploma mills."

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with it, but I think it's different than people being "mean" or "catty."

Eh, fair enough point! I suppose it does contribute to the diploma-mill-cycle. Can't get rid of them if we keep paying for them, right?

But also, I will always out my state... Texas IS just full of "catty" people across allllll professions LOL people here just hate things because they can. I mean, you'll find that anywhere, huh? Maybe I just hate this place :laugh:

Individuals who do well from non funded APA accredited PsyD or PhD programs share some common characteristics, including but may not be limited to having significant savings with reserved emergency funds, strong social support and social network, previous work experience in healthcare, mental health, or human services, strong theory foundation from previous academic training, dedication and commitment to this filed, interest in and ability to do research...

You're leaving out unwillingness to relocate for a competitive program from your list. I'd also quarrel with interest in doing research as a reason to attend an unfunded program. My experience on this board is that a lack of interest/efficacy in doing research and an unwillingness to relocate for a funded program are the two most common reasons I've seen people rationalize a decision to take on that debt. Don't take my work for it: do a thematic analysis. Go back on through all of the SDN threads on this issues and just count the number of times a prospective student has said: "I can't leave my posh life in NYC/SF/LA/DC etc" or "I'm not about that research stuff anyways." I'll bet those themes emerge overwhelmingly.

Some folks are already licensed or certified at a master level, therefore, can work part-time and get paid a decent hourly rate while in school to minimize debts.

There is no way that a master's clinician can make nearly enough money to live on while attending a full time unfunded Psy.D. program. There isn't enough time to do it and compensation for services for many midlevels is hardly enough to live on. You're better off getting a stipend.

These people tend to be older than the traditional students and have planed well what to do upon graduation after years of preparation before getting into the program. This is not to generalize what all graduates from non funded programs are like. Nonetheless, some struggle from the first day to the end while others don't make it to the finishing line

Like I said, I'm a non-traditional student who went to a fully-funded program and I'm not alone. I've met many people from all walks of life who made the decision to attend funded programs in their 30s and 40s because they wanted either to do something more meaningful or something that fit their interests better. There were folks in both the funded counseling programs and clinical Ph.D. programs at my university who were my age, older than me, came from disadvantaged backgrounds, had kids, etc. Saying that unfunded programs are the place for these type of students is a non sequitur because it's possible to be non-traditional in some way and attend a funded program.

Reactions: 4 users
I was 30 when I entered my Ph.D. program after declining admissions to unfunded Psy.D. programs the year prior. My partner and I had a child in graduate school. A few others in my year did so as well. The faculty were very supportive and worked with me to make sure I graduated on time. There were a few opportunities that I wasn't as able to take advantage of because I was a parent to a newborn and my partner was working full time, but I have no regrets. If you want details about what it's like to be a parent in grad school, feel free to PM me.
Hi! I'd love more information about your experiences as a parent in graduate school. I'm applying to PsyD programs now and I'm engaged, therefore we're thinking about starting a family while I'm in school. I'm new to this forum so can you reach out to me, please? Not sure how to inbox lol

Like I said, I'm a non-traditional student who went to a fully-funded program and I'm not alone. I've met many people from all walks of life who made the decision to attend funded programs in their 30s and 40s because they wanted either to do something more meaningful or something that fit their interests better. There were folks in both the funded counseling programs and clinical Ph.D. programs at my university who were my age, older than me, came from disadvantaged backgrounds, had kids, etc. Saying that unfunded programs are the place for these type of students is a non sequitur because it's possible to be non-traditional in some way and attend a funded program.
Thank you for sharing your personal story and experience with your program. This message is very encouraging to prospective students and promotes hope for this field. Hope tdkarma uses the information presented to make the best decision.

Last edited:
Ego-syntonic meanness is painful to witness. What a sad existence.

Hey guys!

Anyone have any opinions of the wright institute in Berkeley? It looks quite expensive but I am considering applying there so I can live at home while commuting as I a am from the Bay Area :)

One thing that worried me is the tuition, and also the incoming class is about 60 students, but the apa match rate is pretty good, along with the licensure percentage.

Thanks in advance!
The Wright Institute has incredible clinical training opportunities. Many students become incredibly strong therapists due to the access to excellent programming. The tuition is lower than many other programs. There is also nothing to be worried about in a class of 60 students, as they are distributed to smaller class sizes and amongst different clinical rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Individuals who do well from non funded APA accredited PsyD or PhD programs share some common characteristics, including but may not be limited to having significant savings with reserved emergency funds, strong social support and social network, previous work experience in healthcare, mental health, or human services, strong theory foundation from previous academic training, dedication and commitment to this filed, interest in and ability to do research... Some folks are already licensed or certified at a master level, therefore, can work part-time and get paid a decent hourly rate while in school to minimize debts. Some individuals were psychotherapists or psychologists from foreign countries who would need an American degree to be licensed; however, they were not competitive enough to get into funded programs. These people tend to be older than the traditional students and have planed well what to do upon graduation after years of preparation before getting into the program. This is not to generalize what all graduates from non funded programs are like. Nonetheless, some struggle from the first day to the end while others don't make it to the finishing line. It is not a glamorous journey. Mental health is a demanding field and graduate school is a marathon. Think it through and take all the information presented here sincerely to make a wise decision for the long run.
I disagree that admission to a funded program implies more competitive. Oftentimes, it refers to a match in research interests. It's simply inaccurate to assume that students choosing to do nonfunded psyd programs are less competitive, and is often based on hearsay rather than evidence. Furthermore many people in non funded psyDs are young, have had strong and promising careers before, and are incredibly bright. They might like the clinical training offered in a particular program and so on. People are willing to pay 300,000 for their first house, dropping a third of that on an incredible education is a much better investment .

I get that being a psychologist (or just being a "dr.") can be someone's dream and everyone has a unique story, but that doesn't mean any path to becoming a psychologist is a valid (e.g., online and/or unaccredited programs) or financially wise one (e.g., unfunded). If someone's only (perceived) option is $200,000 debt with the typical earnings for a psychologist, I would recommend they get a licensable master's degree instead. Sometimes a dream should stay a dream if it results in more hardship than another path.
How much money do people invest in weddings? Homes? There is a cultural value placed on where investment happens. Education is a significantly better investment than the above.

I disagree that admission to a funded program implies more competitive. Oftentimes, it refers to a match in research interests. It's simply inaccurate to assume that students choosing to do nonfunded psyd programs are less competitive, and is often based on hearsay rather than evidence. Furthermore many people in non funded psyDs are young, have had strong and promising careers before, and are incredibly bright. They might like the clinical training offered in a particular program and so on. People are willing to pay 300,000 for their first house, dropping a third of that on an incredible education is a much better investment .

Look at accredited match rates and EPPP passing scores. Those are actual numbers, evidence.

Reactions: 2 users
Look at accredited match rates and EPPP passing scores. Those are actual numbers, evidence.
Up until a few years ago, it was not required that wright students go complete an APA internship. Now it is and nearly 100% of students have attended in the last few years. Students have ended up at Harvard, UCLA, USC affiliated hospitals and so on. Students are working at the SFVA and other top teaching hospitals. These numbers need to be interpreted in the context of the program as it has evolved. I am not sure where you are getting EPPP licensure scores but I question these as well, as a former student who has seen many people who are driven and successful. I have worked alongside students from many other programs in the years - funded and unfunded- and find many showing up with basic CBT skills. The wright provides sophisticated clinical training that many programs lack. I think it's a shame if people read these boards and take opinions from people without concrete evidence of the program itself, and who seem invested in bashing programs different than theirs.

Up until a few years ago, it was not required that wright students go complete an APA internship. Now it is and nearly 100% of students have attended in the last few years. Students have ended up at Harvard, UCLA, USC affiliated hospitals and so on. Students are working at the SFVA and other top teaching hospitals. These numbers need to be interpreted in the context of the program as it has evolved. I am not sure where you are getting EPPP licensure scores but I question these as well, as a former student who has seen many people who are driven and successful. I have worked alongside students from many other programs in the years - funded and unfunded- and find many showing up with basic CBT skills. The wright provides sophisticated clinical training that many programs lack. I think it's a shame if people read these boards and take opinions from people without concrete evidence of the program itself, and who seem invested in bashing programs different than theirs.

Prior to the explosion of internship positions, their match rate was downright abysmal. The fact that it's still in the 80's given more slots than applicants, and it's still abysmal. EPPP scores are collected and reported by ASPPB, question them all you want, but they are real numbers. How much do you get paid to shill for Wright on internet forums?

The fact they can't even get 100% match rate with an APA-accreddited captive internship is even more worrying...

Reactions: 3 users
No, admission to funded programs is, by definition, more competitive than unfunded programs. Just look at the admission rates, which are the number of matriculated students (i.e., the cohort) divided by the overall number of applications.

Ergo, applicants who are admitted to funded programs are necessarily more competitive than those who are not and those who are admitted to and attending unfunded programs.

Moreover, that unfunded programs admit students who, on average, have lower stats is also indicative that their students and programs overall are less competitive. You can easily verify many of these by looking at the stats programs post on their own websites, especially for GPAs and GRE scores.

And we also know why funded programs are more competitive. Funded programs can only take on as many students as they can financially support. They can't just take on huge numbers of students like many unfunded programs do (Most unfunded programs I've seen have cohorts as large as my entire program). Thus, they want to pick the most qualified applicants to get the most out of their money and avoid attrition. Conversely, unfunded programs take on many more students, including those who are far less qualified, because they aren't shouldering any of the financial burden, the students are.
How much money do people invest in weddings? Homes? There is a cultural value placed on where investment happens. Education is a significantly better investment than the above.
I'd also advise people to not spend vast sums of money on opulent weddings. That people do certain things because of cultural and social pressures doesn't mean they should. That some people are making these bad financial decisions in the same or different domains isn't a good justification for others to also make bad financial decisions. It's the proverbial "Would you jump off a bridge if everyone else was doing it?"

As for homes, those generally generate equity and increase in value over time. Yes, you could lose money as well, but you can sell your home and recoup some of the purchase price, so it's not necessarily a total or huge loss. Can you sell your doctorate to recoup the cost of tuition and attendance?

If you stop making payments on your mortgage, the bank can foreclose and repossess it. You could also file for bankruptcy if you happen to accrue other debt in trying to stay afloat on your mortgage. Can the federal government or institution behind your student loans repossess your doctorate and get rid of the debt? I'm not familiar with that and I know you can't discharge student loans in bankruptcy.

Yes, education is often a good investment, but that doesn't mean all educational investments are created equal. Some people take on debt during their fully funded doctoral programs, which isn't a terrible idea, especially if it's for some important purpose, like credit card debt to pay for internship interview expenses. That there are some good reasons to take on debt in this field is not a justification to take on $200,000-300,000 in debt for an unfunded program.

That logic doesn't bear out. If the students of unfunded programs are as competitive as students from funded ones, why would they put their entire careers at significant disadvantages by not completing accredited internships? Even if they are geographically inflexible, they would still be bale to match to nearby accredited internships if they were as competitive as their funded counterparts.

And no one is saying that no good psychologists come from these programs or that none of them have great careers. Instead, we're talking about modal outcomes. What is the typical student like and where do they end up? More importantly, why do they end up where they do? Is it because of the program or is it in spite of it? Did they get to where they are because of what the program did for them or is it because they are already superstars and would excel regardless of what program they attended?

It's the same as for the admissions and competitiveness. Yes, there are some amazing people that apply to and attend unfunded programs, but what is the typical student like?

Here are the EPPP scores:

And here are the licensure stats:
1610426239302.png

More than 1 out of 5 graduates of this program is not licensed. It's a clinical practice-focused PsyD program, i.e., without as much versatility as funded programs (e.g., TT faculty positions). What are these people doing if they can't get licensed?

For the internship stats, as others have noted, it appears that the program has a captive internship network, which is a disingenuous means to game the stats.

Reactions: 2 users
What is the theoererical orientation of the program faculty? What theories do students get trained in? I’m curious about that aspect if you don’t mind sharing.

The Wright Institute has incredible clinical training opportunities. Many students become incredibly strong therapists due to the access to excellent programming. The tuition is lower than many other programs. There is also nothing to be worried about in a class of 60 students, as they are distributed to smaller class sizes and amongst different clinical rotations.

I beg to differ, having worked with their students/graduates at various levels of their careers.

Some have been fine. Others cringe-worthy. What is quite concerning is the variability of clinical skill, ethical behavioral, professionalism, etc coming from this program. This speaks to the rigor and quality of the overall training model and program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys!

Anyone have any opinions of the wright institute in Berkeley? It looks quite expensive but I am considering applying there so I can live at home while commuting as I a am from the Bay Area :)

One thing that worried me is the tuition, and also the incoming class is about 60 students, but the apa match rate is pretty good, along with the licensure percentage.

Thanks in advance!
I think it is pretty mixed. Kinda a pick your own adventure place, seen some great clinicians come out of there and some well...not so great.