Writing about being a First Generation American Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

VirginiaResident

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So a little bit of background: My parents are Chinese immigrants who moved to the U.S., while I was born and raised here. We live in an area where there aren't very many other Chinese/Asian families (>1-2%), and I've had to struggle with my identity being Chinese-American (i.e, I don't feel fully American nor Chinese, but rather somewhere in between). I've never felt discriminated against, but I've always felt a sense of alienation with my peers. Economically, I'm from the middle class and one of my parents went to college.

I'm wondering if this is something worth writing about when talking about identity/struggles/diversity for secondaries? I also don't know how "unique" of an experience this is, nor do I want to come off as an ORM trying to write a sob story. Thanks for any advice/input!
 
I'm a first-generation American on my father's side- they came here fleeing Communism. I feel like I have a better idea of the challenges immigrants may face from seeing my family's experience with coming to America and adjusting to a different culture.

Not gonna write about it, though.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad