Writing out ANKI answers?

Med201821

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may have been discussed before. Apologies in advance if it has been.

I have been using Anki for over 2 years.

I had some quick questions on what veteran anki masters think.

1. Should I be writing my answers out? I feel like I retain more but getting 140 cards a day is usually my max. Takes me 2-3 hours sometimes.

2. Should my answers be one to two words? Should I be creating the questions in such a way that the answers are as brief as possible?

Input and pro tips much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Most of the time, no. I sometimes write stuff on a whiteboard if I miss a card a couple times and need the kinesthetic input. You definitely don’t need this for every card.
2. There is some variation here, but typically cloze deletion is your friend. Answers should be short. More importantly cards should teach one fact only. Don’t make long cards. They are less effective.

Super memo has a great article on rules of knowledge formation that is very applicable to flash card creation.

also watch this Anking video

Reactions: 2 users
1. Most of the time, no. I sometimes write stuff on a whiteboard if I miss a card a couple times and need the kinesthetic input. You definitely don’t need this for every card.
2. There is some variation here, but typically cloze deletion is your friend. Answers should be short. More importantly cards should teach one fact only. Don’t make long cards. They are less effective.

Super memo has a great article on rules of knowledge formation that is very applicable to flash card creation.

also watch this Anking video

Thanks dawg!

Just for an example here is one of my cards. FYI I use online anki accounts so I can access my decks anwhere. Main downside is there is less options for how I can structure my cards but I am a simple man so it works.

Anyways

Front:
What are the findings associated with hypertensive retinopathy?

Back:
Broad light reflex (Caused by thickened arteriolar walls due to hen)
Cotton wool spots (Foci of retinal ischemia)
Flame haemorrhage (Damaged vessels spill contents)
oedematous optic disc

That is an example of one of my longer cards. But I do have quite a few like that.

An example of a shorter card would be:

Front:

What is the treatment for stable torsades de pointe?

Back:

Iv magesium sulfate

I think I seriously hurt my efficiency with my approach the last two years. Big regret.