Writing 'Planned Courses'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joon1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

i'm done with all science pre-requisites and just finished filling out the application.

i'm considering taking some 'recommended' courses such as human anatomy and microbiology in the fall... but i'm worried that putting these planned courses in my app. will make me look like i fall short behind other applicants who already took such courses.

should i even bother to take these 'recommended' courses or just sit back and enjoy my time in the fall?

Members don't see this ad.

they will know already that u are fall behind since u did not take the course
so why not take it?
nothing to loose dude
your transcript already show that u lack those upper bio

so take it :)

Not everyone is a science major and will take upper level biology courses before they graduate. Don't worry if you haven't taken any yet. As long as you will get a degree before you matriculate, that's all that matters. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ddsjymaeng said:
they will know already that u are fall behind since u did not take the course
so why not take it?
nothing to loose dude
your transcript already show that u lack those upper bio

so take it :)

What will happen if i did not take the planned course eventually?

dj7DDS said:
What will happen if i did not take the planned course eventually?

You should definitely say you plan to take it... that way if one committee member says "Oh, but he never took anatomy and this person did," then someone can come back with "But he plans to take it before matriculating." If you don't say you plan on taking it, then the conversation ends with the first comment :D If you don't end up taking it, then it's not a big deal... it was a planned course... plans change... they know that.

However, once you've been accepted to dental school, you have to continue taking the courses you indicated on your application. I don't think you can just drop all of your courses once you've been accepted.

tinman831 said:
However, once you've been accepted to dental school, you have to continue taking the courses you indicated on your application. I don't think you can just drop all of your courses once you've been accepted.

Definitely true. While you should put some upper level courses on your application, don't put ones just for the sake of making your courseload look good. If you drop one or more, dental schools expect a reasonable explanation for why you changed your "planned coursework".