writing portion of PCAT -- does it matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossjb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the writing portion of the PCAT carry any weight in the admissions process?

Reason I ask is it's new and not included in the composite scoring...

Members don't see this ad.

I think schools can request copies of your essay so that they can evaluate your writing skill/style. It may take a while for schools to actually have a policy on what that score means to them.

Was the essay score included on June 05 composite? Anyone know?

Included as a seperate subscore valued 1 (worst) - 5 (best), not counted into your composite percentage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone on here get a 5/5? How common are perfect writing scores?

I got a 4/5 and was ticked because I pride myself on being a poet laureate... :D

crossjb said:
Did anyone on here get a 5/5? How common are perfect writing scores?

I got a 4/5 and was ticked because I pride myself on being a poet laureate... :D

I got a 4, too. I'm a good writer. I whipped out something in a half-hour that I probably could have worked into a really good paper. The problem with essays in stadardized tests is that the scoring is so subjective.

What kind of mood do you think the grader was in after reading who-knows-how-many solutions for voter apathy? :laugh:

So I don't give the essay portion much weight. Of course, I don't give the PCAT much weight either. If only I were an adcom. :)

Troy