Writing skills?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heyyyyy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
MD's handwriting are terrible and i am sure we can all agree. I have a difficult time understanding other people's handwriting and md's are worse. As a pharmacist, what do you do when you can't read or understand the perscription note?

Members don't see this ad.

I usually just make a wild guess and hope I get it right. Finger crossing while guessing usually helps. If I'm not in the mood for guessing, I have the psychic friends hotline number handy and I call them for the answer.

Call the doctor, silly. ;)

Originally posted by GravyRPH
I usually just make a wild guess and hope I get it right. Finger crossing while guessing usually helps. If I'm not in the mood for guessing, I have the psychic friends hotline number handy and I call them for the answer.

Call the doctor, silly. ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, pharmacists handwriting isn't much better. When I see scripts that the pharms take from the docs, it looks almost as bad. Part of that is bc they have to keep up w/what the doc is saying, but still writing fast is pretty much the culprit.

We usually pass it around the pharmacy: "What do you think this says?" (We should start placing wagers) We all make a guess then I call up the doc's office, get put on hold by the front office peon...wait....wait....I finally get the clarification. I'm biatching, but really, what a waste of everyone's time just because a doc writes illegibly. He/she could have spared the few extra seconds to write in a more readable script. This happens too many times, everyday. :mad:

Quite a few pharmacy managers in my state will just return the Rx. to the pt. and say go back to the office. It is not our problem and we don't have time for this. After about 3 or 4 angry pts., the docs generally wise up. If they don't, a couple of Rx's to BOMEX definitely does the trick.

On CII legibility, if I can't read it, I won't bother calling because I cannot adjust a drug name in my state.

Quite a few pharmacy managers in my state will just return the Rx. to the pt. and say go back to the office.

I wish they would let us get away w/that. I'm really mystified by the number of pts who never bother to find out what meds they're getting when they're handed a script.

My fave is when the doc writes the dx on on another rx pad and gives it to the pt, and then you have to spend ten mins explaining to a pt how GERD is a condition not the name of a med they're supposed to get.