• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

CalendarJ

2+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2016
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hey All,

I'm a second-year undergraduate. I'm looking into doing MD/PhD, so research is a big part of my life right now (and hopefully will continue to be).

Anyways, I've been writing much more than I used to. Lots of personal statements/questions for scholarship apps and internships and even more specific aims pages for undergrad-level research grants.

I'm beginning to learn how ridiculously important writing is in both medicine and academia. & I'm learning a ton (for example, how the "&" sign is pretty disliked amongst a lot of my mentors).

Anyways, I was hoping that this thread could be dedicated to writing suggestions and resources.

Example prompts:

(1) What writing guides/resources would you recommend to pre-medical students to prepare them for medical school applications and beyond?

(2) What general writing tips do you have for writing personal statements?

(3) How do you practice and improve your writing style?

And any other advice/tips/suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks for the help!
    - JS

Reactions: 1 user

mestielest

an old mind
    10+ Year Member
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ankara, Ankara, Turkey
    1. Attending Physician
      My suggestions, and the lessons I took during timeline, as a non-native english speaker are:
      -Use the language. Write to forums, find people around to world, find native speakers at your city and try to create a time to speak, send your posts to them and ask them to criticise.
      -If you can afford, obtain a commercial proof-reading for your manuscripts and letters.

I hope it helps :)

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.