written Ob-gyn board exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndyDufrane

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody.
Does anyone have any input on which resources are best to use for the written board exam in Ob-Gyn as one nears the end of residency.thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience, there is not one particular source that can possibly prepare you for the written boards and there wasn't any individual source that was particularly invaluable. The test was highly random and the questions ranged from the obvious to the ridiculous (no I don't know what the seventeenth least common complication of a vacuum delivery is and I don't know what the standard resistance of an xx french endotracheal tube is...exaggeration, yes, but not by much). I pretty much stuck to the Prologs, the Primary Care Precis, and Wall's review course material. I walked out of the test thinking that it could easily go either way, but was ecstatic when that letter saying "pass" arrived a couple of weeks later. As long as you were well prepared by your residency, I would not fret and just make sure you review the material ad naseum. For further assistance, talk to last years seniors from your program and get the scoop on what they did. Just remember to relax and get plenty of sleep the night before! Oh yeah, don't get sick and tell all your loved ones that they are forbidden from getting sick, suffering major trauma, or dying in the immediate weeks preceding the test. Once the test is over, they are allowed to do so at their leisure. Good luck.

Hi Andy!
I passed written board last year with very good score with first attempt.
I have some very helpful things to assist with preparation and to successfully pass this test.
Email me if interested [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Andy please see my sticky note at top of forum. I would recommend a review course like ABC, Exam Pro, Osler for content then take Wall's course.
I agree with Prologs (questions similar). I took Wall's course after a review course and found his material very helpful. Definitely go to a "written" review course and one that mimics the exam.
Good luck
D

I've looked everywhere on acog and abog sites and can't find a basic description of the exam, i.e. length in time and # questions, is it sections of 50ques, etc...if anyone can give me this info, I would greatly appreciate it
Good luck to everyone preparing for 6/28!
Thx, 2bOb

Last edited:
Thank you for those sites and the info; they were very useful

One more question, the exampro site implies a 75% correct to pass, I had heard from one of my attendings that it's 50%, and yet by word of mouth that it's 60%...any place where I can find the definitive?
Thx again

My study approach for the exam (took it June 2010).. and I passed:

- PROLOGs- did each book twice
- Primary Care Precis
- Walls' study questions- did LOTS and tried to review some more than once
- Read as many practice bulletins as I could although this was somewhat time intensive

And in terms of format:
3 hr (maybe 3.5, can't remember exactly)
250 MCQ's

Apparently they throw out some number of questions; Wall's course said they throw out 50, not sure if this is true. Also, this year we were not given actual scores, just PASS/FAIL and no one seems to really know what percentage you need to pass. I have heard it is in the ballpark of 65-70% which I bet is right.

Question format is very different from CREOG; one line questions with one word answers for the most part. I usually was close to running out of time during CREOGs and finished this test in half the alloted time. Questions are generally in the "most common/least common" format.

If you are to take a course, take Wall's. Or get Wall's material from someone else the year before you and save some $$$$

Good luck! :luck:

Hi all I just received some interesting news

[1] A NEW on-line seminar for studying for the written exam are available from Dr. Wall these webinars last one hour-4 days a week
and can be trialed for free!!!
Contact [email protected]
for a free pass
http://www.obgynboardprep.com/at_home_study.htm#webinars_written

[2] Exam pro also is re-focusing their course for the written to include test style questions in their seminar courses
http://www.exampro.com/boards/listItems.asp?idCategory=100&clasification=written

[3] ABC just updated videos for written test topics
http://americasboardreview.com/written_exams/courses_abog_written.shtml

Good luck feel free to PM me with questions

Diane