wrong AAMC# on LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HIJay

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
one of my important LOR has the wrong aamc number, but its not 100% different as it is just one of the number has been omitted, eg. instead of the correct 11223344, it is 1223344, one of the initial "1" has been left out.

does this really matter? I have been contacted and see if i still want to get it scan with the AAMC# covered up or have the writer to write a new one. i figure it is already october and to have the writer write another one, who knows if it will get send/scan in on time before november.

Members don't see this ad.

one of my important LOR has the wrong aamc number, but its not 100% different as it is just one of the number has been omitted, eg. instead of the correct 11223344, it is 1223344, one of the initial "1" has been left out.

does this really matter? I have been contacted and see if i still want to get it scan with the AAMC# covered up or have the writer to write a new one. i figure it is already october and to have the writer write another one, who knows if it will get send/scan in on time before november.

I would definitely go ahead and scan it now. Programs should be organized enough to keep all your stuff in one file anyway so it shouldn't matter at all.

its just frustrating because the letter is from one my away rotation so it is even harder to get the writer to re-write.
i figure the lor has my name on it, so it is obviously mine and not another person's. just wrong aamc # which i think its not even a big deal as it is pretty obvious, at least to me, that an extra "1" has been omitted by accident.

thanks for the replies. good luck to you all

Usually your dean's office uploads it to your ERAS letter slot. It will be assigned to your application file for programs to download. It will probably not make a huge difference. If you want for peace of mind (like it is an important letter), then have the letter writer print it out again (writing over it is half-ass), and then submit it again with the ERAS cover sheet.

As long as it's uploaded into your ERAS application correctly, no one will ever notice nor will anyone care. You aree worried about nothing. Do not try to get the letter re-written over this.

If you're an IMG and the letter has to go through the ECFMG office, it's a bit more complicated. Perhaps the ECFMG will not upload it if the AAMC number is incorrect? I doubt that -- as long as the cover letter/form is completed, it should not be a problem for anyone.

thank you very much aprogdirector.
much relieved now

I don't think anyone will pick up on that subtle of a difference. I also think you should get it scanned! If they do notice, it'll make for an interesting conversation on your interview, haha, you can demonstrate your critical decision making skills. i.e. risk of late but correct letter with harm to your career vs. risk of subtle incorrect letter with no harm to your career...primum non nocere can be ur reason....lol, i think i put too much thought into this :roflcopter:
G'luck!!!

As long as it's uploaded into your ERAS application correctly, no one will ever notice nor will anyone care. You aree worried about nothing. Do not try to get the letter re-written over this.

If you're an IMG and the letter has to go through the ECFMG office, it's a bit more complicated. Perhaps the ECFMG will not upload it if the AAMC number is incorrect? I doubt that -- as long as the cover letter/form is completed, it should not be a problem for anyone.

I m an IMG and one of my LOR's which I sent to ERAS for uploading has no AAMC ID No. mentioned on it, and it was just uploaded as it is.