Wrong Choice????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mytirf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just finishing my intern year in peds and sometimes wonder if I made the right choice. Don't get me wrong I really enjoy taking care of kids and working with families but sometimes I find myself looking at other residents and wondering what it would be like to have gone in another direction.
Internal medicine docs seem to have all this knowledge and great studies to quote while the surgeons swoop around the hospital "intervening" and seeming very important.

I realize that my feelings are likely unfounded but was just wondering if anyone else has any advice or is feeling this way at this point.

Maybe it is just the intern blues and I need to suck it up, but if anyone is feeling the same, would be great to get your perspective.

-V

Members don't see this ad.

well i'm not an intern...yet...but i am sorry to hear that you feeling like that...was there something about your intern year that disappointed you (ie poor teaching, excess scut, etc.) or did you just realize that you were not that passionate about pediatrics?

well from a med student (who is still an idealist)...i have the utmost respect for pediatrians...who are able to treat children, communicate with families, and actually make a diff in a child's life..and be POSTIVE at the same time.....

anyways, cheer up the grass may not always be greener on the other side (ie surgery/ medicine).

Internal medicine docs seem to have all this knowledge and great studies to quote while the surgeons swoop around the hospital "intervening" and seeming very important.

-V

Sometimes pedi interns can feel this way as pediatric residencies are structured a bit differently in some ways than IM or surg. In general, the pedi intern is somewhat less independent (especially in a private hospital setting) than the others. Also, in general, there are fewer data to support many of our interventions. There is nowhere near the level of research to support most of the things we do on a daily basis compared to what "adult" docs do. This will never change despite the NIH initiatives to increase pedi pharm research.

Finally, our patients tend to have fewer complex problems, even when in the hospital. Although patients with 5-6 consults and simultaneous multi-organ problems exist, they are mostly in the PICU, the NICU or cardiology. These are areas with less intern involvement in many programs or even where interns are involved (especially NICU), they may not have much responsibility or feel like they are managing the problems.

The solution, if you enjoy the patient mix and the type of care being given is to be patient. As residency advances, all of these things should seem a bit different. The level of complexity of the patients, the need to find evidence to support their management decisions, etc will all increase. You'll become the "teacher" for med students and interns and need to do more of these things.

Also, as a PL-2, you'll really start to decide if you want to do general pedi or specialty. As you look at this decision, you'll likely become more involved in an area of pedi (including general pedi if that is the route you go) and feel like you own the field and the scientific rationale for it better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting perspective of the original poster and the comments. On an overall general bird's eye in any hospital/clinic there are more adult patients with complex medical problems i.e. alot of my inpatient medicine patients had consults to each department in the hospital, and it seemed that everyone of them got an automatic consult to ID. In general pediatrics there is alot of well-child visits and easily diagnoses self-limited conditions e.g. scarlet fever.

But don't be mislead thinking that pediatrics is somehow less complex or satisfying than adult medicine, here are a couple of positives of Pediatrics :

1. Development Matters. In Pediatrics there is a big difference between fever in a 15 day old newborn versus a fourth month old versus a teenager, in reality we are taught to deal with several distinct developmental/age groups, and to learn most common diseases/organisms etc for each age group. There are some differences in geriatrics patients to know about, but usually these are not as prominent and do not seem to affect care as much as in pedi patients.

2. Complex social issues. Pediatricians deal with children who are developing in a complex social milieu and we must take into account the social aspects of their illness, how it impacts school work, and their emotional development.

3. There are many intellectually stimulating subspecialties of pediatrics, such as hematology. Now, say if I wanted to specialize in pediatric hematology, I could a large number of Sickle Cell pediatric patients that have only that problem, and no or few other medical problems and focus on treating this aspect of their illness.

4. New scientific developments, i.e. stem cell therapy/gene therapy, when these are perfected they will be optimally used in childhood when the target genetic disease is identified.

5. Sick kids often get better! Children, fortunately, have a great capacity to recover from many grave illnesses, and there are better treatments being developed all the time, which gives you a sense of having conquered a disease, when actually it is the kids physiology doing the trick.

6. Surgeons are mastefully technicians, but you have to make the diagnosis in the first place, and then consult surgery for suspected appendicitis, so it is a team effort, pediatric surgeons can exist with pediatricians.

7. There is always a large amount of research going on into Pediatric diseases, it is just that adults have a wider age span i.e. 18 to 65+, and make up majority of inpatient population when they get older that is seems that they get alot of the attention. Furthermore, if you want to do research there is always a need for pediatrician physician scientists and I believe a lack of them, and there is a special program through the NIH.

8. Because we deal with young children, and the results of improprerly caring for diseases early in their life could lead to even more devastating morbidity and mortality, given the greater number of years they have to live, our care of children is one of the most critical in the hospital and should have the best and brightest medical students in pediatrics, period.

If you want something Pedi, something procedure and technologically intense then go for Neonatology, always alot of amazing new stuff going on, remember the one room in the hospital that surgeons are afraid of is the Neonatology Unit, where medications are measured in the smallest amounts, with critically smalls margins for error, and some of the procedures they perform would make a general surgeon pass out!

The solution, if you enjoy the patient mix and the type of care being given is to be patient. As residency advances, all of these things should seem a bit different. The level of complexity of the patients, the need to find evidence to support their management decisions, etc will all increase. You'll become the "teacher" for med students and interns and need to do more of these things.

Thanks OBP, as always you are able to both quickly identify and find the appropriate treatment for the problem. You must be a fantastic doctor! I guess I am just feeling exactly the way you describe with regard to the structure of our residency. I again I don't blame the system, because I do think it makes sense to have a little more supervision in pediatrics (I would want that if my son were in the hospital), and so I guess I will just want until my Junior year. Thanks again.

BTW I am interested in Neo, so maybe I'll pick your brain at some point about neonatology.