Wrote 9999 hours for Publication on primary. Should I be worried?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigFudge99

Reaction score
I put 9999 hours for three sections on my amcas W/A under publications, awards, and hobbies. Thought this was an appropriate place holder when exact amount of hours are unknown but after talking with someone realized, I should've put 0 for awards and publication.

Should I be worried that this mistake is gonna hurt me? Can I fix it? I'll address it in secondaries but what if adcoms throw my app before even getting to the secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

What’s done is done. It cannot be corrected now, and you should move forward with answering secondaries without explaining that it was meant to be a place holder. I don’t think much stock is put into the hours for awards since they’re not an actual activity.

Reactions: 1 user
They might just do a more rigourous verification than normal. I wouldn’t worry about it

Members don't see this ad :)
What’s done is done. It cannot be corrected now, and you should move forward with answering secondaries without explaining that it was meant to be a place holder. I don’t think much stock is put into the hours for awards since they’re not an actual activity.
Thank you for your reply. I just want to clarify, do you recommend that I do not talk about this in my secondary?

Thank you for your reply. I just want to clarify, do you recommend that I do not talk about this in my secondary?
Yes, just answer the regular prompts and do not discuss this. The additional information section is for much more significant topics than this and most applicants should leave that blank.

Yes, just answer the regular prompts and do not discuss this. The additional information section is for much more significant topics than this and most applicants should leave that blank.
Thank you for your help.

I put 9999 hours for three sections on my amcas W/A under publications, awards, and hobbies. Thought this was an appropriate place holder when exact amount of hours are unknown but after talking with someone realized, I should've put 0 for awards and publication.

Should I be worried that this mistake is gonna hurt me? Can I fix it? I'll address it in secondaries but what if adcoms throw my app before even getting to the secondary?
See this relevant post: *~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2021-2023 *~*~*~*

Thank you for your reply. I had looked at that thread earlier and was aware 9999 was nomenclature for hours unknown when it came to hobby, and thought it could apply to other sections as well. I'm hoping this is indeed the case and it won't be a big deal?
IMO adcomms will figure it out, without negative consequences to your application.